[comp.sys.atari.st] FSM-GDOS...When? How?

longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (06/01/91)

I have been trying to get GDOS drivers for my HP Deskjet for "ever"
it seems, and now have given up the search (No, I haven't ordered one from
Migraph, please read rest of note) to await the arrival of FSM-GDOS.

Questions:
1) When will it be relesed ?

2) Who will handle distribution (Atari Directly, or through dealers, mail
   order, ...)?

3) What will it cost, and will it include (as I have heard rumoured) drivers
   for most printers including the HP DeskJet (original version)?

4) Can I get it now by buying Goldeaf's Wordflair II?

5) Will this guy ever run out of questions? Why ask why? Why is the sky blue....

Thanks in advance for whatever information you can provide!
I would assume posting replies should be appropriate, since I am sure
that many would like to hear more details about FSM-GDOS!!!!

Capt Jeff Long                         Rome Laboratories, Griffiss AFB, NY
longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (preferred)    Network Design Laboratory
jlong@cassiopeia.radc.af.mil           (315)330-7751 or (DSN)587-7751

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham S Thomas) (06/06/91)

From article <1991May31.191105.13736@lonex.radc.af.mil>, by longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long):
> I have been trying to get GDOS drivers for my HP Deskjet for "ever"
> it seems, and now have given up the search (No, I haven't ordered one from
> Migraph, please read rest of note) to await the arrival of FSM-GDOS.
>
> Questions:
> 1) When will it be relesed ?

On past performance: much later than you want, later than you expect,
and a bit later than you'd dared to guess when, taking into account past
performance, you were being most pessimistic.

> 2) Who will handle distribution (Atari Directly, or through dealers, mail
>    order, ...)?

No doubt this will differ from country to country, and Atari UK will try
to handle it themselves, then spend a year trying to decide whether to
sell it or give it away (based on their treatment of the Epson emulator
for the SLM804 and the time it took them to release the presentation
graphics program Hyperchart.  By the way, Atari UK still sells v1.0 of
the Epson emulator, whereas Atari USA gives away v1.31.  I know which I
use, and I'm sorry I bought the UK product).

> 3) What will it cost, and will it include (as I have heard rumoured) drivers
>    for most printers including the HP DeskJet (original version)?

See above.  It would, of course, be sensible to include Deskjet drivers,
but if space is tight on the disk, then an SMM124 (Atari dot matrix
printer, if I've remembered the number correctly) driver might win out.

> 4) Can I get it now by buying Goldeaf's Wordflair II?

I don't know, but I bet a) they'd like to bundle it, and b) the Tramiels
won't let them even though the software engineers have had it ready for
a while.

> 5) Will this guy ever run out of questions? Why ask why? Why is the sky blue....

On the last question, read 'The Cuckoo's Egg'.  Some professor once
asked Cliff Stoll the same question in an astronomy exam and had him
sweating for hours over the answer.

Wouldn't it be nice if Atari were to prove me wrong on 1-4 above?

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
Email: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk   Phone: +44 273 678165   Fax: .. 685865

kawakami@tempest.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (06/07/91)

In article <1991May31.191105.13736@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>Questions:
>1) When will it be relesed ?

According to a letter from Goldleaf, there is less than two weeks before
it is released.  Seems that Goldlead is just itching to send it out ASAP
(after all, they have possibly the only FSM-ready program on the market,
thus the new GDOS is a selling point.)

>2) Who will handle distribution (Atari Directly, or through dealers, mail
>   order, ...)?

Probably all channels.  I would hope that they distribute it in addition
to the old GDOS (in software packages.)

>3) What will it cost, and will it include (as I have heard rumoured) drivers
>   for most printers including the HP DeskJet (original version)?

Cost?  Beats me.  It's supposed to include a DJ driver, as well as an HP
Laserjet driver and Epson drivers.  They'd be stupid to drop any drivers
in the package.

>4) Can I get it now by buying Goldeaf's Wordflair II?

No.  They are going to charge cost plus shipping and handling when they
sell FSM.
>Capt Jeff Long                         Rome Laboratories, Griffiss AFB, NY
>longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (preferred)    Network Design Laboratory
>jlong@cassiopeia.radc.af.mil           (315)330-7751 or (DSN)587-7751

John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
                               ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (06/08/91)

I can only add one bit of info. Goldleaf told me the other day that they
will offer FSM GDOS to their registered owners of WorldFlairII for their
cost from Atari, when it ever sees the light of day. Ie, get WordFlairII
if you want FSM GDOS when it comes out.

				-mark-

fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) (06/10/91)

longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) has 4 questions about FSM GDOS:

No, FSM GDOS has not been released yet. Atari is saying 6 weeks, but they
have been saying this for quite some time now.

Yes, the newest beta versions that we have, do include drivers for the
HP laser printers.

No, Goldleaf can not ship FSM until it is released by Atari. But owners
of Wordflair II will be the fist ones to hear about the upgrade and
will be able to purchase it through Goldleaf.

Fabian Hahn
Goldleaf Publishing, Inc.