[comp.sys.atari.st] Gripes about UW

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) (06/10/91)

perstoro@netmbx.UUCP (Wilhelm Schaefer) presents in article <2392@netmbx.UUCP>
>limsico@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Carl Limsico) writes:

[Question on the availability of X for the ST deleted..]

>There is!
>I have seen it on the c-bit this year.
>It was a st with x-win connected to a unix-tt.
>But it was not working too good. :-(
>As far as I seen it....
>
>On the other hand there is a programm called UW (unix windows).
>
>I think it was designed for the mac first, but it has been
>ported to the st by someone.

I have used UW many times but there is one thing about it that really
_BOTHERS_ me.  The mouse cursor is always displayed, so that it flickers
and slows down the screen.  Now, I wish someone would hack the ST side
of the code to turn off the mouse cursor until the mouse is moved or one
of the mous buttons are pressed (like Uniterm does).  This would
significantly speed up the screen too... and it would be much less
annoying... I don't have a C compiler to even thing about it....

--
* Paul Sears * Technology    ***    |"The greater an individual's power
* The University of Houston  ***    | over others, the greater the evil that