[comp.sys.atari.st] Reading 8-bit disks with an ST

revpk@cellar.UUCP (Brian 'Rev P-K' Siano) (06/07/91)

        I've got several megs' worth of old and very important text files on
floppy disks, leftovers from when I used an 8-bit Atari. Now that I have an
ST, I'd really like to be able to bring the text into my new machine and
transfer it to 720K floppies.

        Can anyone either outline or recommend a way for me to work up a
quick transfer system? Is it possible to hitch an old 810 disk drive to an
ST, and read ASCII files from it>

        Advice-- and especially a solution-- would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Siano, aka      [ "Mr. A. Hitler, the old Nazi thing, says
                      [ Mickey's silly. Imagine that! Well, Mickey is
Rev. Philosopher-King [ going to save Mr. A. Hitler from drowning or
                      [ something some day. Just wait and see if he
 revpk@cellar.UUCP    [ doesn't. Then won't Mr. A. Hitler be ashamed!"
                      [ -- Walt Disney, 1933.

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (06/07/91)

In article <6DB632w164w@cellar.UUCP>, revpk@cellar.UUCP (Brian 'Rev P-K' Siano) writes:

>        I've got several megs' worth of old and very important text files on
>floppy disks, leftovers from when I used an 8-bit Atari. Now that I have an
>ST, I'd really like to be able to bring the text into my new machine and
>transfer it to 720K floppies.
>
>        Can anyone either outline or recommend a way for me to work up a
>quick transfer system? Is it possible to hitch an old 810 disk drive to an
>ST, and read ASCII files from it>
>
>        Advice-- and especially a solution-- would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot give you a solution, but I can tell you where one is.  You need
to get STXformer (the 8-bit emulator), and make a cable.  At that point,
you can hook an 810 to your ST and read disks.  I don't know the details.

Of course, if you have an 850 you could always direct-connect the two
together and modem them over . . . .

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

jmack@b11.ingr.com (Cery McCormick) (06/07/91)

In article <6DB632w164w@cellar.UUCP>, revpk@cellar.UUCP (Brian 'Rev P-K' Siano) writes:
>         Can anyone either outline or recommend a way for me to work up a
> quick transfer system? Is it possible to hitch an old 810 disk drive to an
> ST, and read ASCII files from it>
>
>         Advice-- and especially a solution-- would be greatly appreciated.

	You can use Derek Mihocka's (sp?) X-Former software. It requires
a special cable to go between the ST's printer port and the 8-bit drive, but
you can then read the 8-bit files into your ST.

pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu (Technoid) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.121908.7292@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>In article <6DB632w164w@cellar.UUCP>, revpk@cellar.UUCP (Brian 'Rev P-K' Siano) writes:
>>
>>        I've got several megs' worth of old and very important text files on
>>floppy disks, leftovers from when I used an 8-bit Atari. Now that I have an
>>ST, I'd really like to be able to bring the text into my new machine and
>>transfer it to 720K floppies.
>>
>>        Can anyone either outline or recommend a way for me to work up a
>>quick transfer system? Is it possible to hitch an old 810 disk drive to an
>>ST, and read ASCII files from it>
>>
>>        Advice-- and especially a solution-- would be greatly appreciated.
>
>I cannot give you a solution, but I can tell you where one is.  You need
>to get STXformer (the 8-bit emulator), and make a cable.  At that point,
>you can hook an 810 to your ST and read disks.  I don't know the details.
>
>Of course, if you have an 850 you could always direct-connect the two
>together and modem them over . . . .

Hello,

	It should also be mentioned that there is a fully 8-bit emulator for
the ST. You will find it and more information on the STXformer on Atari.archive
I have yet to find an Xformer cable though so if you have any luck, please get
back to me.

Stephan
--
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
  pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu      Stephan R. Cleaves      Salamanders Are Cool...

johnsonc@topaz.ucq.edu.au (06/08/91)

In article <6DB632w164w@cellar.UUCP>, revpk@cellar.UUCP (Brian 'Rev P-K' Siano) writes:

>         I've got several megs' worth of old and very important text files on
> floppy disks, leftovers from when I used an 8-bit Atari. Now that I have an
> ST, I'd really like to be able to bring the text into my new machine and
> transfer it to 720K floppies.
>
>         Can anyone either outline or recommend a way for me to work up a
> quick transfer system? Is it possible to hitch an old 810 disk drive to an
> ST, and read ASCII files from it>
>
>         Advice-- and especially a solution-- would be greatly appreciated.

> Brian Siano, aka      [ "Mr. A. Hitler, the old Nazi thing, says
>                       [ Mickey's silly. Imagine that! Well, Mickey is
> Rev. Philosopher-King [ going to save Mr. A. Hitler from drowning or
>                       [ something some day. Just wait and see if he
>  revpk@cellar.UUCP    [ doesn't. Then won't Mr. A. Hitler be ashamed!"
>                       [ -- Walt Disney, 1933.
I've never really tried it yet, Brian, but I recall that ST Writer lets
you call in AtariWriter files via a modem line (?).  You would probably
need an 850 interface to do it.  I'm sorry but that is all I can offer.
Perhaps someone else would know more about that than I would.

P.S. Could you perhaps tell me how I can contact James Randi?

Chris Johnson                    :   "I have made this letter long as I
Final Year B.App.Sc (Computing)  :     lack the time to make it short."
"Just another student"           :                    - Blaise Pascal

malay@sae.com (Bob Malay) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.160145.1200@oz.plymouth.edu>, pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu (Technoid) writes:

|> >I cannot give you a solution, but I can tell you where one is.  You need
|> >to get STXformer (the 8-bit emulator), and make a cable.  At that point,
|> >you can hook an 810 to your ST and read disks.  I don't know the details.
|> >
|> >Of course, if you have an 850 you could always direct-connect the two
|> >together and modem them over . . . .
|> >
|> Hello,
|>
|> 	It should also be mentioned that there is a fully 8-bit emulator for
|> the ST. You will find it and more information on the STXformer on Atari.archive
|> I have yet to find an Xformer cable though so if you have any luck, please get
|> back to me.
|>
|> Stephan

The Xformer Cable is available from:

B & C ComputerVisions
3257 Kifer Road
Santa Clara, CA 95051
408-749-1003

They have them 'cause I just bought one!

Bob Malay

miskinis@aidev.enet.dec.com (John Miskinis) (06/11/91)

>|> 	It should also be mentioned that there is a fully 8-bit emulator for
>|> the ST. You will find it and more information on the STXformer on Atari.archive
>|> I have yet to find an Xformer cable though so if you have any luck, please get
>|> back to me.
>|>
>|> Stephan

Hi,

	I downloaded STFX a while back, and although it emulated some
	things, I couldn't get the graphics modes to work.  Is this
	really a full emulator?

Thanks in advance,

_John_