[comp.sys.atari.st] TT HD floppy

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (06/07/91)

I've heard rumours in the past that future TT versions will be equipped
with a HD floppy drive. This leads to the following questions:
- Is this rumour true?

and if so:
- Has there been mentioned anything about the time frame in which this
  should occur?
- will it be possible to upgrade current TT's?

Thanks for the info!
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (06/11/91)

seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Uwe Seimet [Chemie]) writes:
]With the TT and MegaSTE-versions delivered in the moment you can use a HD
]floppy drive right from the start, you have just to plug it in.
]If you use HD discs in this drive, TOS first recognizes a read error. It
]automatically switches the speed of the floppy controller to 16 MHz and tries
]again. So some kind of the hardware presented in ST Computer 1/90 (HD drives
]for the ST) is built in.
]Nevertheless I found two problems. My controller doesn't work correctly with
]HD discs if the machine has warmed up. Apparently the controller doesn't like
]16 MHz too much. If you use programs like ROMRAM or ROMSPEED you get problems
]writing on these discs. It seems as if this is a timing problem, because after
]moving the rom to the fast ram the floppy subroutines of TOS are to fast and
]report a timeout.
]To get a button "High Density" in the desktop format dialogue you have to set
]configuration switch #6 to ON. Selecting this button to format a HD disc fails
]on TOS 3.01 but wait for TOS 3.05 ...

Does this mean that there is a HD drive installed.
The latest I heard was that apparently the current 1772 floppy disk
controller is only rated for 8 mhz, and you'll need a 16 Mhz version
for HD drives. It seems that Western Digital does not manufacture such
a version, but that atari bought the rights and is going to manufacture
its own chip.

--

seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Uwe Seimet [Chemie]) (06/12/91)

>Does this mean that there is a HD drive installed.
>The latest I heard was that apparently the current 1772 floppy disk
>controller is only rated for 8 mhz, and you'll need a 16 Mhz version
>for HD drives. It seems that Western Digital does not manufacture such
>a version, but that atari bought the rights and is going to manufacture
>its own chip.

There is no HD drive installed (yet).
You are right that the 1772 is designed for a rate of 8 mhz but this is not
the first time 16 mhz are used (remember ST-Computer 1/90, 2/90). Of course
a 16 mhz version were the best but at the moment the 8 mhz version works at
at rate of 16 mhz when you use hd drives.

*              Uwe Seimet                              *
*              seimet@sun.rhrk.uni-kl.de               *
* I hate this machine, I wish that they would sell it. *
* It doesn't what I want but only what I tell it.      *
* (Programmer's lament)                                *