[comp.sys.atari.st] path to Gadgets

root@gbs.UUCP (Root) (06/08/91)

The path taken by this message is the path "back" to us here at
Gadgets. Our machine name is "gbs" as a 7-character name ("gadgets")
was causing some problems along the line. I'm "dsmall" here, or
"root". The machine is an AT&T 3B1 (7300).

The newsfeeds seem to be operating fairly stabley (is that a word?)
now.

Anyway, since I can't get to the Well machine as often as I'd like,
and this machine is much closer (10 feet vs. 2000 miles), I thought
I would mention it. I'm open for GCR, SST, MegaTalk, and automatic
weapon discussions (*grin*).

	-- thanks, Dave Small

	Gadgets by Small / bottlewasher

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (06/11/91)

[In article <165@gbs.UUCP>,
     root@gbs.UUCP (Root) (really Dave Small) writes ... ]

> The path taken by this message is the path "back" to us here at
> Gadgets.

Just one quick word of advice before you use the Path: line, though.

Put your noggin into action and determine the *closest* site to gbs
that your system knows how to reach. Send mail there. Reasons:

-- Usenet news paths are rarely the quickest routes.
-- Not all systems named in Usenet paths handle mail. (Really!) Using
   the Path: line without careful thought is a good way to lose mail.
-- Sending email through systems you don't own is a privilege, and it's
   your responsibility to ensure that you don't impose on any more sites
   than is necessary. Be a good guest.

>From the 12-hop Path: line on the article I received, I would guess that
ncar.ucar.edu!boulder!tcr!gbs!root might be a working UUCP path, but
there probably is a faster one (anybody know the Internet equivalent of
boulder?)

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (maximum entropy) (06/13/91)

>From: steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
>[In article <165@gbs.UUCP>,
>     root@gbs.UUCP (Root) (really Dave Small) writes ... ]
>
>> The path taken by this message is the path "back" to us here at
>> Gadgets.
>
>Just one quick word of advice before you use the Path: line, though.
> [...]
>>From the 12-hop Path: line on the article I received, I would guess that
>ncar.ucar.edu!boulder!tcr!gbs!root might be a working UUCP path, but
>there probably is a faster one (anybody know the Internet equivalent of
>boulder?)

It is probably boulder.colorado.edu, but I don't do uucp when I can
avoid it, so I'm not sure that they are really the same host.

Most people don't need to worry about all this because most sites have
"smart" uucp routers, and root@gbs.UUCP should do the right thing.
--
entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu
entropy. . .it's not just a good idea, it's the second law.