[comp.sys.atari.st] Info wanted about upgrading an SF354 to DSDD...

mspacek@fquest.fidonet.org (Mark Spacek) (06/12/91)

    Just wondering if anyone out there has taken a DSDD drive and stuck
it in an SF354 and how it worked out.  It doesn't look like it would be
much harder than doing the same with the ST internal drive and I know
some guys who have done that.  But it probably will be a bit harder than
that, if not much.  To switch to a DSDD internal, I think you pretty much
just throw away the little interface board for the SSDD drive and stick
the DSDD in there.  There is a little board in the SF354 also, but I
kinda need to keep it for the DIN jacks.  It doesn't seem to do much,
just a couple jacks, small board with a little buffer chip on it and some
wires coming out the other end to and edge connector.  Anyway, I just
thought I would ask and find out if there might be more to it than I
think before I start messing with it.  Surely someone has done this
before, right?  Any help would be appreciated.  Sending it as E-Mail
rather than posting it here would be best, otherwise its possible that I
might not see it before it gets purged because of hard drive troubles on
this system.  Thanks....  Mark....

bill@sugaree.uu.net (William Bishop) (06/13/91)

In article <ceJF41w164w@fquest.fidonet.org>, mspacek@fquest.fidonet.org (Mark Spacek) writes:

>     Just wondering if anyone out there has taken a DSDD drive and stuck
> it in an SF354 and how it worked out...

             ...(stuff deleted)...

Yes, I've done it!  It works great!!

>                ...To switch to a DSDD internal, I think you pretty much
> just throw away the little interface board for the SSDD drive and stick
> the DSDD in there...

Yes, I think your correct (I should know but my brain all fogged up at the
moment).

              ... (stuff deleted)...

>                                                  ...Sending it as E-Mail
> rather than posting it here would be best, otherwise its possible that I
> might not see it before it gets purged because of hard drive troubles on
> this system.  Thanks....  Mark....

Sorry, can't E-mail yet!

--
          **** All opinions stated above are my own!! ****
William Bishop                 |  "Its a big country...