[comp.sys.atari.st] RAM upgrade

fjmora@CS.WM.EDU (Fredric Mora) (11/22/88)

  Hello,
  I plan to upgrade my 1040ST to 2.5Mb. There are many different upgrade boards
on the market. There are Atarists on the net who successfully upgraded their boxes.
Could you please drop a line about the does and don'ts of RAM upgrade? What PC
board do you recomand? What is the recommanded chip speed? Any probelm with the
RF shield, the power supply?
  Thank you.
  Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              GEnie:
     The College of William and Mary            F.MORA
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA

     *                                                                        *
     * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                            *
     *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
     *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *
     *                                                                        *

- Come, come, little line eater, I won't harm you (evil grin)...

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/22/89)

I have the opportunity to get 1 meg of 256K RAM chips (120ns) for $125.  Is
there a way to piggy back these onto my motherboard or would I be better off
getting an upgrade board.  I've been told this is a great price for these
chips, but I don't want to shell out the cash until I'm sure I can use them.
Comments?

Chris Mauritz
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
No points for 2nd BEST!

CharlieBrown@cup.portal.com (Charles F Schieber) (05/27/89)

I have a 520 STfm upgraded to one meg.On theSTfm the board has the  holes
empty ready  for the chips or sockets to be put in.

idh@NABLA.ELECTRICAL-ENGINEERING.UMIST.AC.UK (Ian D Hawkins) (07/31/89)

I've bought a 1040STFM,  a new one with 8 one megabit ram-chips,  surface
mounted GLUE and MMU chips and a soldered in shifter chip.  I would like to
upgrade the RAM. Are the lead-outs on the chips the same as for the
socketed variety?. Has anyone managed to upgrade such a machine ? (I'm not
afraid of soldering wires to the PLCC leads if needs be).
       Thanks in advance for any relevant comments,

ermadmin@uniwa.uwa.oz (Earth Resources Mapping) (06/12/91)

I have just started to build the 2meg upgrade board as posted
to the net and it looks great..

However, could some clever person explain how the pins on the
MMU are numbered so that I dont solder the extra address line
to the wrong place
..Clive

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.124509.19294@uniwa.uwa.oz> ermadmin@uniwa.uwa.oz (Earth Resources Mapping) writes:
> I have just started to build the 2meg upgrade board as posted
> to the net and it looks great..
>
> However, could some clever person explain how the pins on the
> MMU are numbered so that I dont solder the extra address line
> to the wrong place
> ..Clive

On the top side of the IC there is a bevel on it with a dimple,
This dimple is over pin 1, and the pin to the left side of the Dimple is 68,
and the left most pin on that side is 61,
 Note pin 61 is connected to 0 volts.
                                       * <- Dimple
               61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
               0V      A9

I hope this helps.

--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***