[comp.sys.atari.st] Does TT monitor have sound?

d90-ngp@sm.luth.se (Niklas Grip) (06/10/91)

A friend of mine have just bought an Amiga 3000, and the multisync
monitor he got with it does not have any loudspeaker, so to get any
sound out of the machine he has to connect it with his tape recorder!

Is it usual that multisync monitors don't have loudspeakers and
whatabout the TT?
|                      |                                    |                 |
| Niklas Grip          | University of Luleaa               | Some day I will |
| Vallstensgatan 7     | Internet: d90-ngp@sm.luth.se       | make some nice  |
| 951 59 Luleaa        | Bitnet  : d90-ngp%sm.luth.se@sekth | logo and remove |
| SWEDEN               |====================================| this damn text! |
| Phone: 0920-26228 (international: +46 920 26228)          |                 |

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/13/91)

d90-ngp@sm.luth.se (Niklas Grip) writes:
>Is it usual that multisync monitors don't have loudspeakers and
>whatabout the TT?

Yes, it's true that most monitors don't have speakers.  The TT has a
speaker built in.  It also has stereo output jacks on the back so you can
hook it up to an amplifier and speakers, and you can turn off the internal
speaker if you want.  The idea is that the internal speaker can be used for
normal stuff like beeps and bells, but for high-quality digitized sound
you're likely to want to use the stereo outputs.  The digital sound always
goes to the stereo output jacks; you can control whether the PSG sound
(clicks and beeps) also goes there.

seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Uwe Seimet [Chemie]) (06/13/91)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>d90-ngp@sm.luth.se (Niklas Grip) writes:
>>Is it usual that multisync monitors don't have loudspeakers and
>>whatabout the TT?

>Yes, it's true that most monitors don't have speakers.  The TT has a
>speaker built in.  It also has stereo output jacks on the back so you can
>hook it up to an amplifier and speakers, and you can turn off the internal
>speaker if you want.  The idea is that the internal speaker can be used for
>normal stuff like beeps and bells, but for high-quality digitized sound
>you're likely to want to use the stereo outputs.  The digital sound always
>goes to the stereo output jacks; you can control whether the PSG sound
>(clicks and beeps) also goes there.

One thing about the internal speaker is more or less annoying. If you run
programs that boot from disc there's no possibility to switch off the sound
unless the program allows it.
So if a program (especially games) makes a hell of a noise you can do nothing
against it. (There's only one solution: Don't play games.)

*              Uwe Seimet                              *
*              seimet@sun.rhrk.uni-kl.de               *
* I hate this machine, I wish that they would sell it. *
* It doesn't what I want but only what I tell it.      *
* (Programmer's lament)                                *