[comp.sys.atari.st] arc602.ttp or unarc.ttp question

ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de (Ralph Berg) (06/07/91)

Hi,

How can I tell arc602.ttp or unarc.ttp to store on
extraction the files into another directory as where
the archiver programms resides???

When I use unarc.ttp with "x c:\tmp\any.arc" the
extracted files will be stored where the unarc program
is called ??

Who has any idea ???

Thanks.

Ralph Berg, Reichenbergerstr.89,
D-1000 Berlin 36, West Germany         during day  030/25499151
German National Research Center for Computer Science, FIRST
ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (06/08/91)

[In article <727@bigfoot.first.gmd.de>,
     ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de (Ralph Berg) writes ... ]

> How can I tell arc602.ttp or unarc.ttp to store on
> extraction the files into another directory as where
> the archiver programms resides???
>
> When I use unarc.ttp with "x c:\tmp\any.arc" the
> extracted files will be stored where the unarc program
> is called ??

I tried responding via email, but my friendly neighborhood Internet
host said:
550 ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de... Host unknown

Anyway, ARC and UNARC place extracted files into the *current*
directory. If you are running from the GEM Desktop, it's likely that
you have made unarc's or arc's directory the current directory by
topping its window.

Try topping the window where you want the objects to be placed, then
hold down the SHIFT key and double-click on arc.ttp or unarc.ttp in a
background window. That will instruct GEM to run the program without
switching to its directory.

You won't have this problem if you run your archiver from a
command-line shell or special GEM shell.
 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (06/08/91)

In article <727@bigfoot.first.gmd.de> ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de (Ralph Berg) writes:

>Hi,
>
>How can I tell arc602.ttp or unarc.ttp to store on
>extraction the files into another directory as where
>the archiver programms resides???
>
>Ralph Berg, Reichenbergerstr.89,
>ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de

To: ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de
Subject: Re: arc602.ttp or unarc.ttp question
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Bcc:

Easiest way is to use a Shell program (Charles Johnson's ArcShell?)
and set ut up to either create directories or whatever.  Other way is
to open the window to your arc program, open a second window to your
desired destination, hold right mouse button down while double clicking on the
arc program (in unselected window).  Do what you've been doing at this point.

Most correct way is to enter the command at the .ttp prompt (having done
things the way you've been doing...) "x a:\srcpath\srcfile.arc b:\dstpath\*.*"
where a: and b: are the source and dest. drives. and srcpath is the source
files path, srcfile.arc is the arc file, dstpath is the path where you want
to put the files from the archive, and *.* meand extract every file!

Double clicking on arc.ttp and giving the argument "h" (single char) will
usually cause it to tell you how to use it.  Good luck.

jc
cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (or reply... works but is slower.)

reiner@estevax.UUCP (Reiner Plaum) (06/13/91)

In article <727@bigfoot.first.gmd.de> ralph@prosun.first.gmd.de (Ralph Berg) writes:
>How can I tell arc602.ttp or unarc.ttp to store on
>extraction the files into another directory as where
>the archiver programms resides???

In order to extract into a particular directory you have to
specify that path as the argument to arc, and append the pattern
for the files to be extracted
e.g. : arc x any.arc c:\tmp\*.*

Don't no whether the same method works for unarc.

By the way, West Germany mentioned in your disclaimer does no longer exist.

Reiner.