[comp.sys.atari.st] Booting in 50Hz mode

steveg@cseic.saic.com (Stephen Harold Goldstein) (06/03/91)

I'm trying to view a couple of demos from the archives at umich, and
am having some problems - they seem to load fine, but
the screen starts 'rolling' immediately - I assume I need to put my system
in 50Hz mode, but the following 'fixes' also from the archives ALSO make the
screen roll (before the demos load):  hertz.arc, swaphz.arc, 50hzboot.prg

I've got a Mega 4 running U.S. TOS 1.4.  Any suggestions?
--
---
Stephen Goldstein     steveg@cseic.saic.com

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (06/06/91)

In article <2773461@MVB.SAIC.COM>, steveg@cseic.saic.com (Stephen Harold Goldstein) writes:
>I'm trying to view a couple of demos from the archives at umich, and
>am having some problems - they seem to load fine, but
>the screen starts 'rolling' immediately - I assume I need to put my system
>in 50Hz mode, but the following 'fixes' also from the archives ALSO make the
>screen roll (before the demos load):  hertz.arc, swaphz.arc, 50hzboot.prg
>
>I've got a Mega 4 running U.S. TOS 1.4.  Any suggestions?

You need to adjust your color monitor.  I had to when I first bought my
machine, and have not had to since (so you should not have to do it every
time you switch Hz).  However, others have stated that they did not have
as much success.  It does not hurt to try though.  There are a couple of
marked plastic pot screws embeded in the back of the monitor.  Find the
v-hold one and turn (ONLY use a plastic TV screwdriver, and be careful).

>Stephen Goldstein     steveg@cseic.saic.com
>My first Atari system? A 24K Atari 800, Rev. A ROMS, C(not G)TIA graphics
>Disclaimer:  That's not what I said.

Wow, me too.  I bought my first computer in 1979, and it was a 16k Atari 800.
Best damn computer they made (I still miss the keyboard feel).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

klassa@asdsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Klassa) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.124130.14365@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>In article <2773461@MVB.SAIC.COM>, steveg@cseic.saic.com (Stephen Harold Goldstein) writes:

			... stuff deleted ...

>You need to adjust your color monitor.
>Find the
>v-hold one and turn (ONLY use a plastic TV screwdriver, and be careful).

			... stuff deleted ...

>--
>    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
>             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear
>          FSU Computer Science       |      down here.  Beam down
>        Technical Support Group      |      yeoman Rand and a six-pack . ."
>      email:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu  |
>    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

When I bought my ST (in '87), I was disappointed by the quality of the color
monitor I received (I'd seen a friend's ST & color monitor -- one of the
original ones that was nice and crisp).  Soon thereafter, I took the back off
of the monitor & proceeded to adjust every pot in sight, hoping that I could
get it to look like my friend's.  Needless to say, I got everything all out of
whack...  I managed to get it looking decent again, but have always wondered
if it's adjusted the way it should be.  Can anyone offer suggestions on how
to check my adjustments -- rules of thumb, and the like?  Perhaps a color bar
program...  That sort of thing...

Thanks in advance...
John Klassa
CS Graduate Student, College of William and Mary
klassa@asdsun.larc.nasa.gov

steveg@cseic.saic.com (Stephen Harold Goldstein) (06/14/91)

(I wrote about problems with my screen rolling in 50Hz mode)...

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu wrote:

>You need to adjust your color monitor.  I had to when I first bought my
>machine, and have not had to since (so you should not have to do it every
>time you switch Hz).  However, others have stated that they did not have
>as much success.  It does not hurt to try though.  There are a couple of
>marked plastic pot screws embeded in the back of the monitor.  Find the
>v-hold one and turn (ONLY use a plastic TV screwdriver, and be careful).

*THANKS* that did the trick!

Now can anyone tell me just who these guys are that wrote things like
the WHATTHEHECK and Life's a bitch demos?  The demos are pretty neat
but I'm concerned about references to 'ripping' sounds from commercial
games and 'copy parties' in their 'scroll texts'.  Are these demos nothing
more than cut and paste jobs of stolen code and artwork?
--
---