[comp.sys.atari.st] GCC -g and G++ bogon alert!?!

hess@rospc1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) (06/10/91)

Hello,

I have a problem with the gcc 1.39 and the g++ from the koeln ftp site.
If I try to compile the following program with g++:
#include<stream.h>
int main(){ cout << "Hello World\n"; }

All works niecly until the link run. Then the linker says: Bogon alert: wrote
xxx Symbols, yyy expected. And the resulting file is not a TOS executable
(TOS error 66: not an executable program).

The same happens, when I compile a normal gcc program with the gdb option "-g".
Then there is another number of wrote/expected symbols, but the resulting
program again is not executable.

Has anyone encountered this problem and perhaps already solved it?

Hauke Hess / University Hamburg (so write in german, if you like)

ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (U.Kuehn) (06/11/91)

In article <hess.676555444@rospc1>, hess@rospc1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke
Hess) says:
>If I try to compile the following program with g++:
>#include<stream.h>
>int main(){ cout << "Hello World\n"; }
>
>All works niecly until the link run. Then the linker says: Bogon alert: wrote
>xxx Symbols, yyy expected. And the resulting file is not a TOS executable
>(TOS error 66: not an executable program).
>
>The same happens, when I compile a normal gcc program with the gdb option
>"-g".

The Problem is , that the linker does not handle the DRI-compatible symboltable
in the correct way, so try using the -s option to advice the linker to
strip off the symboltable.

Bye the way, I've got the stuff from koeln, too, and I dont have that problem;
maybe you are not using the linker provided in the package in the cs-directory
at the site.

U.Kuehn

bammi@acae127.cadence.com (Jwahar R. Bammi) (06/15/91)

--
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com
In article <hess.676555444@rospc1> hess@rospc1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) writes:

> If I try to compile the following program with g++:
> #include<stream.h>
> int main(){ cout << "Hello World\n"; }
>
> All works niecly until the link run. Then the linker says: Bogon alert: wrote
> xxx Symbols, yyy expected. And the resulting file is not a TOS executable
> (TOS error 66: not an executable program).
>
> The same happens, when I compile a normal gcc program with the gdb option "-g".
> Then there is another number of wrote/expected symbols, but the resulting
> program again is not executable.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem and perhaps already solved it?

yes, you need a few updates. this problem, along with a newer gdb etc,
were distributed as update8. the bogon alterts for gcc -g will go away
if you use the patches to ld and sym-ld in update8.zoo. You also need
to apply the diffs to gcc in that update to fully utilize -g. Since
then there have been two update, update9 and update10. update10
contains the diffs to bring up gcc-1.40 on the ST. i recommend using
that. all these updates are available from atari.archive.umich.edu
either via ftp or via their mail request server.

cheers,