[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega Mega?

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/13/91)

What with GNU Emacs, big RAMdisks, Scheme, Smalltalk, MultiGEM, etc. etc. it
seems like a reasonable thing to want to expand a Mega beyond 4 MB.  Anyone
done it?  Any possibility of a commercial expansion?

                                       Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.183028.20305@chinet.chi.il.us>, saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
> What with GNU Emacs, big RAMdisks, Scheme, Smalltalk, MultiGEM, etc. etc. it
> seems like a reasonable thing to want to expand a Mega beyond 4 MB.  Anyone
> done it?  Any possibility of a commercial expansion?
>
>                                        Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us

I have done some preliminary probe into this matter two years ago and there
was absolutely no problem at all. Expanding up to 8 MB is rather easy if
you know how to build a RAM board for 68000 CPU. The reason I haven't done
it yet is that so far I couldn't persuade the DMA controller to handle the
upper 4 megabytes. I have recently heard that CRT controller (SHIFTER) can
be persuaded by poking their I/O addresses (Reflex board does this and
allows us to use any kind of monitor on TOS 1.4). I don't think using
a RAM disk of 4 MB is very fantastic (I'd rather use a hard disk). Another
thing I had to consider was using Standard SIMMS sockets...

Germans actually sell expansion boards, but they are VERY expensive at
least in England where I am based in a way. A 4 MB expansion module costs
Sterlng Pounds 689.43 at Atari Workshop in Windsor. It may not include
the actual chips which they charge StgL 275 for 4 MB.

Tsuji

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/13/91)

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

>What with GNU Emacs, big RAMdisks, Scheme, Smalltalk, MultiGEM, etc. etc. it
>seems like a reasonable thing to want to expand a Mega beyond 4 MB.  Anyone
>done it?  Any possibility of a commercial expansion?

There is a commercial solution distributed by Richter Computer in
Germany. With their expansion cards, you can pump up memory volume to
12 MB.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (06/13/91)

Gadgets by Small has a 68030/8Mb expansion board which will combine your
on-board memory with the above to give a Mega 4 a whole 12Mb of RAM!!!!!
I saw Mr.Small at CeBIT this year and he showed me this marvelous expansion
board for Megas.  There are a lot more details about this board and I
recommend contacting him for more information.

--
ant@mks.com                                                   Anthony C Howe
Mortice Kern Systems Inc. 35 King St. N., Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2J 6W9

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun13.120105.18786@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:

>There is a commercial solution distributed by Richter Computer in
>Germany. With their expansion cards, you can pump up memory volume to
>12 MB.

Does anyone know how well this handles DMA and video? I'm not prepared to buy
one just to find out.

How many other commercial / DIY homebrew memory expansion systems are there?
Gadgets seem to have a clear value-for-money winner. Keep it up Dave & friends!

--
Adam David.
(adamd@rhi.hi.is)