[comp.sys.atari.st] set-up for Practical Peripherals 9600 modem?

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/11/91)

Over the weekend, I got a Practical Peripherals V.32 V.42 V.42bis modem (at
a warehouse sale: wholesale on these babies appears to be about $400).  Works
just fine, thank-you on my ST so far.  I remember some discussion about flow
control (or lack of it) with the ST's serial port.  Modems like this were 3
times as expensive back then, so I didn't save the messages.  What do I have
to do?  What might go wrong?  How do I deal with problems?  All this
specifically relating to flow control and a fast modem with data compression.
                                   Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.200056.29446@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
> Over the weekend, I got a Practical Peripherals V.32 V.42 V.42bis modem (at
> a warehouse sale: wholesale on these babies appears to be about $400).  Works
> just fine, thank-you on my ST so far.  I remember some discussion about flow
> control (or lack of it) with the ST's serial port.  Modems like this were 3
> times as expensive back then, so I didn't save the messages.  What do I have
> to do?  What might go wrong?  How do I deal with problems?  All this
> specifically relating to flow control and a fast modem with data compression.
>                                    Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us

Well from what I know, there have been a lot of Problems with RTS/CTS
flow control with all the Atari range, there are a few Fix programs
for this.
The other problem is runing the serial port faster than 19.2 kbs, this
was to do with the clocking options to the MC68901, if the * 16 clock
option is not on, you don't have the receive data transition resynch
logic enabled, the * 1 clock option is stated just for synch use only.
It could be posible to clock the chip faster, but have not looked at
the Timer 'D' settings.

There have been postings from Atari About this, I do have 2 doc files
but don't remember what was in them..

--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.140654.11814@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:
>In article <1991Jun10.200056.29446@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>> Over the weekend, I got a Practical Peripherals V.32 V.42 V.42bis modem (at
>> a warehouse sale: wholesale on these babies appears to be about $400).  Works
>> just fine, thank-you on my ST so far.  I remember some discussion about flow
>> control (or lack of it) with the ST's serial port.  Modems like this were 3
>> times as expensive back then, so I didn't save the messages.  What do I have
>> to do?  What might go wrong?  How do I deal with problems?  All this
>> specifically relating to flow control and a fast modem with data compression.
>
>Well from what I know, there have been a lot of Problems with RTS/CTS
>flow control with all the Atari range, there are a few Fix programs
>for this.

The manual for the modem (I have the same one) recommends using XON/XOFF flow
control in the modem and RTS/CTS at the computer. However, if the poster above
is correct regarding problems with RTS/CTS with Ataris, you can turn off flow
control in the modem and rely on XON/XOFF at the computer.

  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/14/91)

In article <22357@cbmvax.commodore.com> joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) writes:
> In article <1991Jun11.140654.11814@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:
> >In article <1991Jun10.200056.29446@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
> >> Over the weekend, I got a Practical Peripherals V.32 V.42 V.42bis modem (at
> >> a warehouse sale: wholesale on these babies appears to be about $400).  Works
> >> just fine, thank-you on my ST so far.  I remember some discussion about flow
> >> control (or lack of it) with the ST's serial port.  Modems like this were 3
> >> times as expensive back then, so I didn't save the messages.  What do I have
> >> to do?  What might go wrong?  How do I deal with problems?  All this
> >> specifically relating to flow control and a fast modem with data compression.
> >
> >Well from what I know, there have been a lot of Problems with RTS/CTS
> >flow control with all the Atari range, there are a few Fix programs
> >for this.
>
> The manual for the modem (I have the same one) recommends using XON/XOFF flow
> control in the modem and RTS/CTS at the computer. However, if the poster above
> is correct regarding problems with RTS/CTS with Ataris, you can turn off flow
> control in the modem and rely on XON/XOFF at the computer.
>
> --
>   Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
>   Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
>   Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
>   Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

Don't do it, as you can't do Zmodem transfers with Xon/Xoff, you must
do RTS/CTS flow control.
Note: There are Fix programs for the RTS/CTS Problem..
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***
***  Kapiti New Zealand..    *     like a dying light globe. !       ***

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/15/91)

Between postings and email, I think I have the story straight: RTS/CTS flow
control (between computer and modem) works properly under TOS 1.2, but not
under TOS 1.0, 1.4 or 1.6.  The problem is thus a software one.  I luck
out on this one because I use TOS 1.2, and wasn't planning to upgrade TOS on
the machine the modem hooks to anyway.  There have been several references to
patch programs to correct the problems (and I don't know what the problems
are: just from morbid curiousity, I'd like to know what happens wrong).  So
far, nobody has named a patch program though.  I suspect these may be among
the files that still don't have descriptions on atari.archive, because a
scan of the file list there didn't turn up anything obvious.

Bottom line: for general interest, please name a RTS/CTS patch program.

                                  Steve    saj@chinet.chi.il.us