[comp.sys.atari.st] Mint ?

Jim_Holt@aprdlgtr.sps.mot.com (Jim Holt) (06/10/91)

Please forgive me if this has been answered countless times ...

I have seen quite a few references to MINT in this group.  I
am curious about what it is ?  Is this something like Unix
for an ST ?  If so, how/where does one obtain it ?

Thanks,
JH

mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) (06/11/91)

Jim_Holt@aprdlgtr.sps.mot.com (Jim Holt) writes:

> I have seen quite a few references to MINT in this group.  I
> am curious about what it is ?  Is this something like Unix
> for an ST ?  If so, how/where does one obtain it ?

MiNT is a Multi-Tasking program for the Atari ST.  I have tried using it,
but it is difficult unless you have MGR, which is a program that manages
the multi-tasking.  Since I couldn't locate this program, I gave up on
the entire ting.  You need about 2-4 Megs to use it seriously, though.
Or at least that is what I have been told.  1 Meg isn't enough to do
anything useful.  The program (MiNT) is able to Multi-Task TOS and TTP
programs, and keep them running even while a GEM application is running.
It won't multi-task GEM programs, but it will let you run one while other
things are running in the background.  If you have enough memory, and can
locate MGR (or really like command lines) then try to get MiNT.  Once you
get it running, it is supposed to be great...

<<  ----------------------------------  >>
<<  ersys!mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca  >>
<<     mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca     >>
<<            Michel Forget             >>
<<  ----------------------------------  >>

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (06/12/91)

This is way off the track, take no notice of it:

>MiNT is a Multi-Tasking program for the Atari ST.  I have tried using it,
>but it is difficult unless you have MGR, which is a program that manages
>the multi-tasking.

(I'll omit details for now, since I'd say a few people will jump on this)
--
  _-_|\       warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /     *  <-- Computer Science Department,

dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) (06/12/91)

In article <8Fqc41w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) writes:
>Jim_Holt@aprdlgtr.sps.mot.com (Jim Holt) writes:
>
>> I have seen quite a few references to MINT in this group.  I
>> am curious about what it is ?  Is this something like Unix
>> for an ST ?  If so, how/where does one obtain it ?
>
>MiNT is a Multi-Tasking program for the Atari ST.  I have tried using it,
>but it is difficult unless you have MGR, which is a program that manages
>the multi-tasking.  Since I couldn't locate this program, I gave up on
>the entire ting.  You need about 2-4 Megs to use it seriously, though.
>Or at least that is what I have been told.  1 Meg isn't enough to do
>anything useful.  The program (MiNT) is able to Multi-Task TOS and TTP
>programs, and keep them running even while a GEM application is running.
>It won't multi-task GEM programs, but it will let you run one while other
>things are running in the background.  If you have enough memory, and can
>locate MGR (or really like command lines) then try to get MiNT.  Once you
>get it running, it is supposed to be great...

Actually, even with MGR you'll need to like command lines (us UNIX types do :-)
at least until someone writes something like a MGR desktop. MiNT works well
from a shell that supports it (bash, ksh, and the init that comes with it).

You can do useful stuff in 1 meg, but, yes, more memory is _very_ useful.

Once you get it running, it _is_ great! (Perhaps someone would care to replace
the piccy of Bob in the character set with one of Eric Smith? :-)
--
/* 'Grave' Dave Gymer --------- Internet: dpg@Cs.Nott.AC.UK *\
+* 42 St Marys Park, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0EF, England *+

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.081652.27081@cs.nott.ac.uk> dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) writes:
>Once you get [Mint] running, it _is_ great! (Perhaps someone would care to
>replace the piccy of Bob in the character set with one of Eric Smith? :-)

Here, here!  Don't forget that E. S. did the latest port of Nethack too!
But I think instead we should replace the Rainbow Fuji in the TOS 1.4
"About..." box with a "Rainbow Eric".  The Bob Dobbs characters have been
recently reserved by Atari UK for later use as box corners.  :-)
(Sorry Neil, I couldn't resist!)

Dave Baggett
dmb@wam.umd.edu

Rod.Fulk@therip.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) (06/14/91)

I have Mint and Manager available on my bbs...
HSt Freq able..
1:228/24.0
I downloaded them from GEnie and havent looked at the stuff yet..
Not sure of their names..
Otherwise call and leave me mail and I will upgrade your access real quick
like.
(You can download ONE program on your first call..
Manager is like a 500k file or so though...)

 * Origin: The R.I.P.  (616)235-2313   [HST] (1:228/24)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (06/14/91)

]
]Here, here!  Don't forget that E. S. did the latest port of Nethack too!
]But I think instead we should replace the Rainbow Fuji in the TOS 1.4
]"About..." box with a "Rainbow Eric".  The Bob Dobbs characters have been
]recently reserved by Atari UK for later use as box corners.  :-)
](Sorry Neil, I couldn't resist!)

Well at least it could be said that Eric had contributed more to the Atari
commmunity than Dobb's did. If Eric looks like an Acid House smiley then the
characters would also have a general application.

The problem would be if one process changed the characters to Eric but another
wanted them as Bob. Can Mint cope with such a scenario? Would the character
definitions be stored with the context of each process?

>Dave Baggett
>dmb@wam.umd.edu

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (06/17/91)

(Neil Forsyth) writes:
>(David M. Baggett) writes:
>(Dave Gymer) writes:
>]]Once you get [Mint] running, it _is_ great! (Perhaps someone would care to
>]]replace the piccy of Bob in the character set with one of Eric Smith?

>Well at least it could be said that Eric had contributed more to the Atari
>commmunity than Dobb's did. If Eric looks like an Acid House smiley then the
>characters would also have a general application.

>The problem would be if one process changed the characters to Eric but another
>wanted them as Bob. Can Mint cope with such a scenario? Would the character
>definitions be stored with the context of each process?

I think the best thing would be to have the Eric Smiley active by default
for programs running in the MiNT domain, while retaining the Standard, but
less socially acceptable Smoking Bob in the TOS domain.  Also, an additional
MiNT library call would be necessary, since some programs will need to run
in the MiNT domain AND use the Smoking Bob characters.

int Pbobacid(flag);
int flag;

If flag&1==0, set the current process's CHaractEr Extra Set Extentions (the well
documented "CHEESE" characters) to follow the Bob convention.  Otherwise, the
IBM-compatible Smiley convention will be used.  Returns the currently selected
state.

Warwick.