[comp.sys.atari.st] Vortex Hard Disk Drive question

iws9060@eva.fmi.uni-passau.de (Thorsten Guenther) (06/15/91)

Hi there!

I have some questions to all of you in Netland:
How good is the Software that comes with Vortex' Datajet drives? It is
specially written for them and I do not know if it is comparable to
ICD Tools or SCSI Tools. In a German mag (PD Journal) I have read that
using SCSI Tools on Vortex drives may cause loss of data. Is this true?
If so, then why does this happen? Would you advise me to buy a new controller
instead of going on with the one built in?

                               Hope there is someone who knows.

                                         Thorsten Guenther

- If they tell the truth when they say that Rock Music was created by Satan   -
- himself, I'd rather try not to get to heaven.                               -

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/17/91)

iws9060@eva.fmi.uni-passau.de (Thorsten Guenther) writes:

>I have some questions to all of you in Netland:
>How good is the Software that comes with Vortex' Datajet drives? It is
>specially written for them and I do not know if it is comparable to
>ICD Tools or SCSI Tools. In a German mag (PD Journal) I have read that
>using SCSI Tools on Vortex drives may cause loss of data. Is this true?
>If so, then why does this happen? Would you advise me to buy a new controller
>instead of going on with the one built in?

When I tested their software (in 1990), it was not completely AHDI3-compatible.
They should have fixed this now. Using SCSITool to partition Vortex HDplus
drives may cause total data loss, that's right. This is due to a
somewhat peculiar hostadapter design in the HDplus series. It is not
SCSITool's fault. Since you're concerning Datajets, this doesn't apply to
you. Datajets will run fine with the SCSITool software or any other driver,
including mine.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de