[comp.sys.atari.st] GCC, the documentation...

ermadmin@uniwa.uwa.oz (Earth Resources Mapping) (06/12/91)

I am just playing with GCC on the ST and find it great!
However, I dont know where to find the documentation for the stuff.
Is there a complete set of words for it - and if so where?

I would really like to find docs for all the functions.. printf()
and all the stuff.

The few docs that I have seen are in TEX format - that is not a lot
of help for the people out here whe love GCC but hate TEX!

..Here's hoping
..Clive

ps - please post any replies to the net as my account is off
at the moment and cannot, i think receive mail...
:w

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (06/13/91)

atari.archive's gnustuff directory in under reconstruction at the moment.
You will find docs in ~ftp/atari/gnustuff/Doc. I will run a detex program
on them to produce a plain ascii version.

Cheers,
Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.124204.19116@uniwa.uwa.oz> ermadmin@uniwa.uwa.oz (Earth Resources Mapping) writes:
>I am just playing with GCC on the ST and find it great!

That's cos it is great!

>[...]
>I would really like to find docs for all the functions.. printf()
>and all the stuff.

There aren't yet any docs for the ST library, however, most of the functions
are from either ANSI C or UNIX, and so a good book on one or both should tell
you what you need to know. Incidentally, if you not already using it, it's a
good idea to go for Eric Smith's MiNT library (even if you don't have MiNT) as
it means that your programs will almost certainly behave when used by those of
us who do use MiNT.

>The few docs that I have seen are in TEX format - that is not a lot
>of help for the people out here whe love GCC but hate TEX!

Unfortunately (for you, anyhow), the GNU project's standard text formatter is
TeX, so you're kind of stumped there! (Perhaps someone could post the info
files built from the docs so that we don't all have to make them?)

--
/* 'Grave' Dave Gymer --------- Internet: dpg@Cs.Nott.AC.UK *\
+* 42 St Marys Park, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0EF, England *+

bammi@acae127.cadence.com (Jwahar R. Bammi) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun12.124204.19116@uniwa.uwa.oz> ermadmin@uniwa.uwa.oz (Earth Resources Mapping) writes:

> The few docs that I have seen are in TEX format - that is not a lot
> of help for the people out here whe love GCC but hate TEX!

sorry, all the documentation, both from FSF, and atari specific
documentation from Frank Ridderbusch are in TeX format.  It should be
easy enough to run them off though, or view them directly, as they are
just text files.
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com
GEnie:	J.Bammi
CIS:    71515,155

lynbech@daimi.aau.dk (Christian Lynbech) (06/18/91)

bammi@acae127.cadence.com (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.124204.19116@uniwa.uwa.oz> ermadmin@uniwa.uwa.oz (Earth Resources Mapping) writes:

>> The few docs that I have seen are in TEX format - that is not a lot
>> of help for the people out here whe love GCC but hate TEX!

>sorry, all the documentation, both from FSF, and atari specific
>documentation from Frank Ridderbusch are in TeX format.  It should be
>easy enough to run them off though, or view them directly, as they are
>just text files.
>--
>--
>bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
>domain: bammi@cadence.com
>GEnie:	J.Bammi
>CIS:    71515,155

Several different 'detex' programs exist, if you don't wan't to go through the
trouble of setting up TeX/LaTeX.

I have one for emacs (called detex.el) that I can mail to anyone interested.
It should also be avaible on major emacs-lisp ftp-sites.  I haven't tried it
though, so I don't know how good it is. One probably looses a lot of structure
(chapters, sections, headings and such) in the process, I guess.

Christian Lynbech

DAIMI
University of Aarhus,DK-Denmark                 email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk