[comp.sys.atari.st] NVDI

CSULLOGG@CRL.AECL.CA (06/07/91)

Would someone please post info about where I can obtain NVDI, a German pgm to
accelerate screen draws on a TT with a TTM195 monitor? Thanks.

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (06/11/91)

In article <28665@know.pws.bull.com> CSULLOGG@CRL.AECL.CA writes:
>Would someone please post info about where I can obtain NVDI, a German pgm to
>accelerate screen draws on a TT with a TTM195 monitor? Thanks.

You should be aware of the fact that NVDI currently ONLY seems to work
well in monochrome resolutions and actually slows down GEM operations
in the other TT screen resolutions. It's also somewhat slower than
either Turbo ST or Quick ST 2 when running on an ST, and also slower than
Quick ST 3 when running on the TT in a monochrome screen resolution.
Currently there is only one product available (and I'm sure you can guess
what it is) that not only runs on the TT (sorry Turbo ST!) but actually
significantly speeds up ALL TT screen resolutions (sorry NVDI!).  :-)

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka. Quick ST 3 for the ST/TT. All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Uwe Seimet [Chemie]) (06/12/91)

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:

>In article <28665@know.pws.bull.com> CSULLOGG@CRL.AECL.CA writes:
>>Would someone please post info about where I can obtain NVDI, a German pgm to
>>accelerate screen draws on a TT with a TTM195 monitor? Thanks.

>You should be aware of the fact that NVDI currently ONLY seems to work
>well in monochrome resolutions and actually slows down GEM operations
>in the other TT screen resolutions. It's also somewhat slower than
>either Turbo ST or Quick ST 2 when running on an ST, and also slower than
>Quick ST 3 when running on the TT in a monochrome screen resolution.
>Currently there is only one product available (and I'm sure you can guess
>what it is) that not only runs on the TT (sorry Turbo ST!) but actually
>significantly speeds up ALL TT screen resolutions (sorry NVDI!).  :-)

Don't forget that NVDI includes a GDOS. Turbo ST and Quick ST don't.
Turbo ST had problems with several programs (e.g. SIGNUM). BTW, if you
use a TTM195 you don't need to speed up colour resolutions.

*              Uwe Seimet                              *
*              seimet@sun.rhrk.uni-kl.de               *
* I hate this machine, I wish that they would sell it. *
* It doesn't what I want but only what I tell it.      *
* (Programmer's lament)                                *

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/13/91)

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:

>You should be aware of the fact that NVDI currently ONLY seems to work
>well in monochrome resolutions and actually slows down GEM operations
>in the other TT screen resolutions. It's also somewhat slower than
>either Turbo ST or Quick ST 2 when running on an ST, and also slower than
>Quick ST 3 when running on the TT in a monochrome screen resolution.
>Currently there is only one product available (and I'm sure you can guess
>what it is) that not only runs on the TT (sorry Turbo ST!) but actually
>significantly speeds up ALL TT screen resolutions (sorry NVDI!).  :-)

Don't forget that NVDI includes GDOS which is a big pro for this program
for me.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de

sievert@gypsy.ims.fhg.de (Karsten Sievert) (06/18/91)

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:

Hi!

>darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:

>>Currently there is only one product available (and I'm sure you can guess
>>what it is)
I can't.

>>that not only runs on the TT (sorry Turbo ST!) but actually
>>significantly speeds up ALL TT screen resolutions (sorry NVDI!).  :-)
>Don't forget that NVDI includes GDOS which is a big pro for this program
>for me.

And it handles I/O-redirection correctly. I am a gemini-fan.

>Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,
-Clarence
sievert@ims.fhg.de