[comp.sys.atari.st] What to do with antique STs?

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (06/18/91)

Well, no one seems to have any hi-tech project ideas for my ancient
ST520, but I got a (hopeful) lateral-thinking piece of mail from
someone in Virginia, as follows:

> From: lch3e@edu.Virginia.acc.holmes (Lauren C. Howard)
>
>   Hi!  You can always donate the poor thing to our school!
> The Einstein School is a small private school where I teach
> computers to children with dyslexia and other learning problems.
>
>   We use lots of Atari's, tho we have only 1 ST to date (needless
> to say, it's the most popular machine!).  We can always use more!
> For our purposes, they work pretty well with a TV set.

As I told Lauren, I don't think my ST would meet their needs, not least
because it uses 50Hz 240v electricity, and outputs 25 frame/sec
625-line RGB, and contains neither modulator nor disk drive, but the
overall concept is sound.

If you've got an old ST (or other home computer) lying around, you
probably could find some such (semi-)charitable organization near you
who could make very good use of it.  Might be worth thinking about.
(If you're in the US, you should even be able to claim a tax deduction
for it.)

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132