[comp.sys.atari.st] TT beginner questions

friedric@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Carsten Friedrich) (06/17/91)

hi
i just got a TT and have some questions.
maybe that most of them already have been discussed, but as i had no TT i
did not pay attention.

My version of Mint (0.6) does not seem to work with the TT is there a version
 that does ?
Is there a switch for gcc (my version is 1.39) to use 68030 code, to use the
	co-processor and the full TT memory ?
I tried to connect my external 5 1/4'' floppy i used with the st to the tt
	but failed. any ideas why ? (i just pulled the plug out of the st
	and into the tt, but the tt couldn't handle it. :( )
Is there already any nice tt - pd -software, and where can i ftp it?
Does anyone have some TT documantation, e.g. new tos-routines and
	hardware - registers ? If you only have them on paper, i would give
	you some money for stamps, if you send them to me. (send e-mail for
	adress)
Is there a version of minix running on the TT?

	thanx for any replies,
			carsten

carsten friedrich, e-mail: friedric@unipa.fmi.uni-passau.de

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/19/91)

friedric@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Carsten Friedrich) writes:

>Does anyone have some TT documantation, e.g. new tos-routines and
>	hardware - registers ? If you only have them on paper, i would give
>	you some money for stamps, if you send them to me. (send e-mail for
>	adress)

These kinds of documentation are available to developers through the Atari.
Call Gail Johnson at (408) 745-2022 for information on becoming a
developer.

>My version of Mint (0.6) does not seem to work with the TT is there a version
> that does ?

The latest one, 0.8, does.  However, there are some problems in exception
handling.  0.7 worked better, but I don't know if the released version of
0.7 had the TT modifications.

>Is there a switch for gcc (my version is 1.39) to use 68030 code, to use the
>	co-processor and the full TT memory ?

Yes, use -m68020 and -m68881 on the GCC command line, and use PRGFLAGS.PRG
(freely copyable, available on GEnie at least) to set the program-load and
malloc bits so your program can see all TT memory.

>I tried to connect my external 5 1/4'' floppy i used with the st to the tt
>	but failed. any ideas why ? (i just pulled the plug out of the st
>	and into the tt, but the tt couldn't handle it. :( )

Don't know why.  Should have worked.  Do you use a hack program to change
the seek rate, or a program that makes the Floprate() XBIOS call?  In the
former case the program is probably TOS-version-specific, and in the latter
case it should work.