[comp.sys.atari.st] RTS/CTS

singer@ll-xn.UUCP (03/12/87)

>From sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) Wed Mar 11 11:44:24 1987
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
>Subject: Re: TOS RS232 bug?
>
>In article <453@ll-xn.ARPA> singer@ll-xn.ARPA (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>>...Since the ST can not keep up at 9600bps...

>The terminal program you're using is probably using the (small) system rs232
>buffer, which would certainly account for the problem.  The answer?  Get a
>program which establishes its own (large) rs232 buffer.  Simon Poole's
>Uniterm _must_ be doing this, since I've had no problem at all using it at
>9600bps.
>
>-Rich

You miss the point... The US Robotics HST modem is designed to use
CTS/RTS flow control.  If you were to say dump a 300K file to
the ST, youd need a BIG buffer if you didnt use flow control and
XON-XOFF just wont do it for binary transfers.

Having a big buffer does not compensate for the "STANDARD PORT"
not being usable with "STANDARD PROTOCOLS".

What about output? The HST modem can be setup so it ALWAYS takes
data from the computer at 9600, but may be sending it out at some
other rate depending on line conditions.  It needs to be able to
drop CTS to stop the ST from sending.  How is a big buffer going
to help this???

Matt Singer
Commnet Systems

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <454@ll-xn.ARPA> singer@ll-xn.ARPA (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>You miss the point... The US Robotics HST modem is designed to use
>CTS/RTS flow control.

I guess I did miss the point. I _know_ the ST is supposed to support CTS/RTS.
Has anyone else had trouble with it?  As for my setup, XON/XOFF is all I
need and it works fine.

-Rich
--
  //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 /// Richard E. Sansom                    TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (06/13/91)

In article <22357@cbmvax.commodore.com> joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) writes:
| However, if the poster above is correct regarding problems with
| RTS/CTS with Ataris, you can turn off flow control in the modem and
| rely on XON/XOFF at the computer.

Wasn't there among the inital TOS 1.4 AUTO Patch Kit, something to get
RTS/CTS working right on STs?  I remember vaguely from the README that
it was NOT 1.4 specific.  Does anyone know any more about this?

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

steveg@cseic.saic.com (Stephen Harold Goldstein) (06/19/91)

TOS14FIX.PRG fixes the RTS/CTS problem with TOS 1.4
I don't believe earlier versions of TOS had this problem.
Quote from TOS14FIX.PRG docs follows:

"1) A change was made to the BIOS call that sets the RS-232 port
configuration.  Specifically, it did not allow RTS/CTS flow control to
be enabled.  This is a problem for people with serial printers and high
speed modems, since those devices use RTS/CTS flow control to start and
stop data transmission so that the device can keep up with the
computer. If you have Rainbow TOS, and you use a high-speed serial
device which requires RTS/CTS flow control, you need this program in
your auto folder."

--
---
Stephen Goldstein     steveg@cseic.saic.com

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/19/91)

In article <2891502@MVB.SAIC.COM> steveg@cseic.saic.com (Stephen Harold Goldstein) writes:
> TOS14FIX.PRG fixes the RTS/CTS problem with TOS 1.4
> I don't believe earlier versions of TOS had this problem.
> Quote from TOS14FIX.PRG docs follows:
>
> "1) A change was made to the BIOS call that sets the RS-232 port
> configuration.  Specifically, it did not allow RTS/CTS flow control to
> be enabled.  This is a problem for people with serial printers and high
> speed modems, since those devices use RTS/CTS flow control to start and
> stop data transmission so that the device can keep up with the
> computer. If you have Rainbow TOS, and you use a high-speed serial
> device which requires RTS/CTS flow control, you need this program in
> your auto folder."
> > Stephen Goldstein     steveg@cseic.saic.com
> My first Atari system? A 24K Atari 800, Rev. A ROMS, C(not G)TIA graphics
> Disclaimer:  That's not what I said.

Some  one Stated on here that he was using the Patched Version of the
TOS 4 fix, does any know what this meens ??
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (06/20/91)

That was probably me.  TOS14FIX.PRG has a bug (actually a typo) where an RTS
instruction should have been an RTE instruction.  There is was article
in ST Report a while back that told how to fix it.  Or you can get tos14fx5.lzh
from atari.archive that has the bug fixed and adds xbra support.  The fixed
version is by Karsten Isakovic.

 - todd
--
Todd C. Miller                    | "But all the politiCIAns now
millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU        |  They have no excuse