[comp.sys.atari.st] inaccessability of GEM on boot

scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) (06/16/91)

Could someone please explain why GEM can't be invoked before one arrives at the
desktop?  You can get to TOS, but not GEM, even though they're on the same
chip?!?  HELP!!

Steve "Stevers!" Coile                      scoile@gmuvax[{.BITNET|[2].gmu.edu}]
            "Maturity is knowing when and where to act immature"

Rod.Fulk@therip.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) (06/17/91)

Its because Gem doesnt get initialized until after the machine is booted..
You need to start GEM programs with startgem type programs or if you have a
tos 1.4 or newer such programs can be installed as auto programs..
                                      ^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am highlighting these cause this is exactly what you do in tos 1.4 or newer..
Running shells from the auto folder will give you a little extra memory but
wont allow access to gem..

 * Origin: The R.I.P.  (616)235-2313   [HST] (1:228/24)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/19/91)

Rod.Fulk@therip.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) writes:

>Its because Gem doesnt get initialized until after the machine is booted..
>You need to start GEM programs with startgem type programs or if you have a
>tos 1.4 or newer such programs can be installed as auto programs..
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To clarify, to install a program as the auto-exec GEM program in TOS 1.4
and newer, you click on the program, then click "Install Application" and
select "Auto" for the "Boot Status."  Then Save Desktop to save this
selection to disk.  Next time you boot, the program thus installed will run
after GEM is up but before you see the Desktop.  If it's a shell, then
you'll never see the Desktop, which I guess is what some people want.

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (06/20/91)

>To install a program as the auto-exec GEM program in TOS 1.4
>and newer, you click on the program, then click "Install Application" and
>select "Auto" for the "Boot Status."  Then Save Desktop to save this
>selection to disk.

This is quite silly when you think about it.  Why would you Install an
application as Auto start and then NOT save the desktop.  I am suprised
that this isn't done automatically (or at least by default).  I am also
confused as to why the disk is accessed (considerably) when you install
a program file as auto-start.

Warwick.
--
  _-_|\       warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /     *  <-- Computer Science Department,