[comp.sys.atari.st] Clock for ST; ST vs STE, and other questions

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (06/20/91)

Well, Ive got a load of questions. I hope I can keep my attention centered
long enough to post them...

1. Is there a clock available for the ST? Ive a 520ST and I kinda find if
annoying that I have to reset the clock each time I want to use my
computer. Is there a device I can build or buy thatll battery back the
clock?

2. Whats the difference between various ST models. Such as the ST vs
STE. I know the E means Enhanced or something. I am wondering if its
possible to modify my 520STFM to be an STE? Also, in a coupla months,
I plan to upgrade my RAM, either 2mb or 4mb, and also want to know
whats the difference between an upgraded 520ST, to say a Mega-2 or
-4?

3. Anyone have TOS 1.4 they wanna sell? :-) Ive the 6 chip version 1.0,
and want to upgrade. Im sure that someone must have upgraded their
1.4 machine to a higher rev, and now has the 1.4 chipset just laying
around.

4. Finally. CPU accelarators? I see in a mag or two that one company
makes a 16MHz 68000 thats pretty simple to install. Is there any
other CPU replacements, like an 020 or an 030? (dont tell me get a
TT, I never buy computers new :-) I know that these must exist, but
am looking for opinions on the 'best' (cost effective and also
installation, and how good it is in speeding up the processor)

Thanx!

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com

rjast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert J Anisko) (06/20/91)

In article <43478@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:

>Well, Ive got a load of questions. I hope I can keep my attention centered
>long enough to post them...
>
>1. Is there a clock available for the ST? Ive a 520ST and I kinda find if
>annoying that I have to reset the clock each time I want to use my
>computer. Is there a device I can build or buy thatll battery back the
>clock?

  Easiest thing would be to find an old Magic Sac cartridge (the early
MAC emulator) minus the ROMS - I believe if you pop a battery in there, it has
a clock that will work fine for you.  I personally use the clock built
into my Deskcart cartridge...

>2. Whats the difference between various ST models. Such as the ST vs
>STE. I know the E means Enhanced or something. I am wondering if its
>possible to modify my 520STFM to be an STE? Also, in a coupla months,
>I plan to upgrade my RAM, either 2mb or 4mb, and also want to know
>whats the difference between an upgraded 520ST, to say a Mega-2 or
>-4?

  There are various differences between the ST and STe series, most notably
enhanced color (4096 colors, instead of 512 palette) and stereo sound.
Also a newer TOS (like DOS on the IBM), etc.  An STe owner could better
compare...  Oh, a biggie: ALOT easier to upgrade the ram of an STe -
just pop in some SIMMS (whereas with the ST you need a memory board
setup to upgrade)...  As for Mega, I believe the main difference is
a couple extra expansion port(s)....

>3. Anyone have TOS 1.4 they wanna sell? :-) Ive the 6 chip version 1.0,
>and want to upgrade. Im sure that someone must have upgraded their
>1.4 machine to a higher rev, and now has the 1.4 chipset just laying
>around.

  Nah, I like my 1.4s...

>4. Finally. CPU accelarators? I see in a mag or two that one company
>makes a 16MHz 68000 thats pretty simple to install. Is there any
>other CPU replacements, like an 020 or an 030? (dont tell me get a
>TT, I never buy computers new :-) I know that these must exist, but
>am looking for opinions on the 'best' (cost effective and also
>installation, and how good it is in speeding up the processor)

  There are two 16mhz 68000 upgrades - by ICD (AdSpeed) and the Turbo16
by Jim Allen.  A 20mhz version by Jim Allen is supposed to be coming
soon.  Then there is the Gadgets by Small 68030 upgrade, which I believe
is at 32mhz (Dave?)...

>Thanx!

  No problem...

					Robert Anisko