[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectre/Atari formats

darling@cellar.UUCP (Darling) (06/20/91)

I'm looking at a Spectre GCR system, which apparently reads Mac disks
straight away, and wondering:  if I buy such a thing, is there an easy way to
transfer files from ST disks to Mac disks and vice versa?  It seems that if
both formats can be accessed this should be no big deal.  Is such a copy
utility included/available?

Anyone?

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^\\\^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
darling@cellar.UUCP \\\ Thomas Darling * record production * dance re-mixing
uunet!cellar!darling \\\ Fact HQ Studio * The Cellar BBS:215/336-9503 * FACT
v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~\\\~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~v~

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (06/21/91)

In article <T54s41w164w@cellar.UUCP>, darling@cellar.UUCP (Darling) writes:
>I'm looking at a Spectre GCR system, which apparently reads Mac disks
>straight away, and wondering:  if I buy such a thing, is there an easy way to
>transfer files from ST disks to Mac disks and vice versa?  It seems that if
>both formats can be accessed this should be no big deal.  Is such a copy
>utility included/available?

I posted something along this line, and was told that there are several
utilities available for the mac that allow it to read/write IBM format
disks (which of course work on the ST).  I seem to remember that at least
one of these packages is PD or shareware.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.031316.17980@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>In article <T54s41w164w@cellar.UUCP>, darling@cellar.UUCP (Darling) writes:
>>I'm looking at a Spectre GCR system, which apparently reads Mac disks
>>straight away, and wondering:  if I buy such a thing, is there an easy way to
>>transfer files from ST disks to Mac disks and vice versa?  It seems that if
>>both formats can be accessed this should be no big deal.  Is such a copy
>>utility included/available?

If you are using Spectre 3.0you can use:

   AccessPC
   Dosmounter
   Apple File Exchange    (text only I think)

I tried both AccessPC and Dosmounter, and they work fine, AccessPC even
correctly formats MSDOS disks. The above also works if you only have the
Spectre 128 cartridge, without the GCR

Hope this helps

(Note: I have never seen a PD or shareware program that does the trick; the
programs above were only on loan so I don't know their price)

_     __________________________________________________________________________
 |   / o / /  _     Wilko Bulte              Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)    System Engineering       uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland  phone: +31 55-432372 fax: +31 55-432103
      "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'" Yoda - The Empire Strikes Back

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (06/21/91)

>I'm looking at a Spectre GCR system, which apparently reads Mac disks
>straight away, and wondering:  if I buy such a thing, is there an easy way to
>transfer files from ST disks to Mac disks and vice versa?  It seems that if
>both formats can be accessed this should be no big deal.  Is such a copy
>utility included/available?

Yes, there is a utility called Transverter which allows fairly free transfer
between ST format disks and MFS format Mac disks. I have an MFS HD partition on
under Spectre which I use as a source/destination area for file transfers. It
allows Binary or Text format and with the Binary, enables Spectre to recognise
the file types (.SIT, etc).

++ I posted something along this line, and was told that there are several
++ utilities available for the mac that allow it to read/write IBM format
++ disks (which of course work on the ST).  I seem to remember that at least
++ one of these packages is PD or shareware.

But beware, most of this is TEXT only, Transverter allows transfer of Binaries.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.