[comp.sys.atari.st] Splitting up large binary files.

stahl@zippy.fnal.gov (Steve Stahl) (06/20/91)

A friend of mine has been trying to get Emacs running on
his 1040ST.   He collected emacs-18.55.zoo (sic) from
atari.archive.  This file is too big to fit on a single DD
floppy.  Soooo, I advised him to try "split"ting it on one
of the Unix boxes at work, and then transferring it to floppies
via a Mac--using Apple File Exchange, and formatting the
disks on the Mac--and then recombining the individual parts back on
his Atari using "cat."

With a "cat" collected from cs.uni-sb, he was able to do this.
Byte count checked out ok.  But "zoo" bombed immediately
when it tried to work on the result, reporting a corrupted
header.  He assures me he used the proper modes of transfer
along the way.  Can someone tell us what went wrong, or better,
how we should have gone about this in the first place ?
Finally, when this is all done will it have been
worth the effort ?
--
Steve Stahl | Fermilab, Batavia, IL | stahl@calvin.fnal.gov

marshall@cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris (G.M.)) (06/21/91)

In article <N62OSQT9@linac.fnal.gov> stahl@zippy.fnal.gov (Steve Stahl) writes:
>A friend of mine has been trying to get Emacs running on
>his 1040ST.   He collected emacs-18.55.zoo (sic) from
>atari.archive.  This file is too big
>Finally, when this is all done will it have been
>worth the effort ?
>--
>Steve Stahl | Fermilab, Batavia, IL | stahl@calvin.fnal.gov
Probably not worth the effort. Why not use JOVE: in a.a I believe.
It works well, and is much smaller than emacs - but lacks some of emacs
bells and whistles. But it's good.
.

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (06/21/91)

>collected emacs-18.55.zoo (sic) from
>atari.archive.  This file is too big to fit on a single DD
>floppy.

Just un-zoo it on your unix box and re-zoo it into smaller components.
Or does it contain a single, HUGE file !?!
--
  _-_|\       warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /     *  <-- Computer Science Department,

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (06/21/91)

++ Finally, when this is all done will it have been
++ worth the effort ?

I seem to have collected a more robust version of emacs than the one originally
ported by Edgar Roeder. I will upload it to atari.archive into the
gnustuff/tos/Emacs directory --- look for emacsbin.zoo. It'll fit on a DS disk.

I have had problems with zoo, split files and Mac xfrs as well. I suspect that
it's something to do with CR+LF or not. I will arrange for the emacs.zoo files
on atari.archive to be split into DS-disk-sized files which can be catted back
together on the ST.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

raichle@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Bernd Raichle) (06/21/91)

> [Problems with splitting a big file and ... ]
> and then recombining the individual parts back on
> his Atari using "cat."
> With a "cat" collected from cs.uni-sb, he was able to do this.

I don't know this "cat" version, but most "cat" versions for the
ST work in `text mode', not in `binary mode'.  This means they
ignore `CR' in a line (not all) and wrote `LF' as `LF/CR' pair.

Try this: Wrote your own version of `cat' and be sure that you open
the input files and the output file in binary mode!

-bernd

PS: I use GnuEmacs to recombine binaries ;-)