[comp.sys.atari.st] Tom and Free-Net Commodore SIG

aa399@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Len Stys) (06/23/91)

If anyone cares to know how little you should think of the recent message
posted by Thomas Hill, please take a look of a capture that I took from the
Commodore SIG on Free-Net concerning Atari...

ews
      437. USENET REPOST: Commodore SemiConductor In News
      438. YWCA looking for donation

      439. USENET REPOST: Atari In Europe
      440. USENET REPOST: Atari Sells Plant
      441. USENET REPOST: Atari Show Cancelled
 **R  442. USENET REPOST: Atari Us Position
      443. USENET REPOST: Slow Macs

      444. Re: USENET REPOST: Atari In Europe

-------------------------------
    c = Contribute a new mess

(AND HOW ABOUT ONE OF THOSE MESSAGES WHILE I'M AT IT?)

Article #439 (444 is last):
Newsgroups: freenet.sci.comp.c64.forum
From: ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill)
Subject: USENET REPOST: Atari In Europe
Date: Sun Jun 16 16:47:26 1991

   What follows is a series of messages from the Atari UseNet SIG. They
represent the down hill trend at Atari right now. While thumbing through the
Atari messages I was taken by the number of "For Sale" messages being posted.
Read into this what you will. Also, if any of you Mac users think Atari and
Commodore activity has always been about the same level, I would suggest you
go to the few Atari SIGs for a quick look, then go to the Amiga SIG (# 5) and
take a quick look around all those special interest SIGs within it. Things are
hopping at Commodore these days. Things at Atari are...Well, let's let the
Atari message traffic speak for it's self. I'd also like to mention to my
fellow Amiga users out there what this could mean to Commodore. With Atari out
of the picture Commodore would be by it's self in the < $1000 market. With the
recent rush of Atari users switching to the Amiga, this "rush" could soon turn
into a flood.

Article #28178 (28194 is last):
From: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham S Thomas)
Subject: Re: How is Atari doing in Europe?
Date: Sat Jun 15 12:16:14 1991

From article <1991Jun14.010821.9903@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, by yegerleh@vivaldi.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Yegerlehner):
> I don't think Atari is making much of a splash over here (yet?)
> with the new STEs and TTs, but can any of you guys over in Europe
> say how the new machines are being received there?  Is Atari
> maintaining the significant market share that it once had?

I'm fairly sure Atari's market share in the UK is declining.  Most STs
here have been sold as games machines, and judging from the relative
amounts of software in the shops and the number and thickness of
magazines on the newsstands, the Amiga's winning hands down in that
arena.

Anything else has been niche marketing.  The TT is more expensive here
than in some other countries, partly because Atari don't expect to sell
many.  The Mega STE hasn't even been released here yet - it's just been
delayed even further until the beginning of July.

Atari are still selling a fair number of STFMs (still!) and STEs, and
the existing number of installed machines means that games and music
software will continue to be produced here, along with the occasional
non-games product.  Also, Atari UK have started to advertise the ST as a
'serious' computer again.  But, in my opinion, it's too little, too
late.  The best is not yet to come.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
Email: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk   Phone: +44 273 678165   Fax: .. 685865

[END]

   Tom
-------------------------------
Would you now like to:
    t - Type out (Re-read) this message
    s - Read next unread message on same Subj

     If posting of information like this makes you angry, do what I do and
try to make the Atari SIG a great place to get information.

     In fact, after seeing what Tom is doing, I'm encouraged to work on the
Atari SIG even harder and I'm sure the users are as well.

     Join the Atari SIG... or the 16/32-bit Computer Support Team.

Len