[comp.sys.atari.st] 1.44 HD drives

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (06/24/91)

High Density 1.44 MB disk on TT and MEGA STE
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
In the TT 3.05 and MEGA STE 2.05 TOS version there are in addition
to "SINGLE SIDED" and "DOUBLE SIDED" a format option for
"HIGH DENSITY" in the resource file in ROM.  This is removed in
the dialog box for format, but can be turned on my flipping over
one of the DIP-switches inside the computer.  And if you put a
HD-drive inside a TT it actually works (we have testet it).

The big question is - Is it safe to use HD drive on the TT with
the standard Floppy Disc Controller, AND can I use this on my
MEGA STE too, or should we wait for new controllers from Atari
(will they arrive soon - come on Atari - what about some info?)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Uwe Seimet [Chemie]) (06/24/91)

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:

>High Density 1.44 MB disk on TT and MEGA STE
>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>In the TT 3.05 and MEGA STE 2.05 TOS version there are in addition
>to "SINGLE SIDED" and "DOUBLE SIDED" a format option for
>"HIGH DENSITY" in the resource file in ROM.  This is removed in
>the dialog box for format, but can be turned on my flipping over
>one of the DIP-switches inside the computer.  And if you put a
>HD-drive inside a TT it actually works (we have testet it).

HD drives can be used with TOS 3.01, too. The only problem is that you
cannot select the "HIGH DENSITY" option because of a bug in TOS. So you
have to format your HD discs in another way.

>The big question is - Is it safe to use HD drive on the TT with
>the standard Floppy Disc Controller, AND can I use this on my
>MEGA STE too, or should we wait for new controllers from Atari
>(will they arrive soon - come on Atari - what about some info?)

I have worked with the TT and HD drives for a few months now. There are no
major problems but my controller does not like the 16 MHz used for reading/
writing HD discs. When the controller warms up I cannot use HD discs any more.
So it depends on the controller if you are able to use HD drives without
waiting for a new controller chip.

*              Uwe Seimet                              *
*              seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de                   *
* I hate this machine, I wish that they would sell it. *
* It doesn't do what I want but only what I tell it.   *
* (Programmer's lament)                                *

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (06/24/91)

But where can I get a 16 MHz FDC that can handle HD disk 100% perfect ?
Or isn't this chip ready yet (could this be the reason for the socket
on the TT and MEGA STE - the FDC is soldered right on the PCB on standard
ST and STE ?)

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/25/91)

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:

>But where can I get a 16 MHz FDC that can handle HD disk 100% perfect ?
>Or isn't this chip ready yet (could this be the reason for the socket
>on the TT and MEGA STE - the FDC is soldered right on the PCB on standard
>ST and STE ?)

Exactly. The chip isn't ready yet, and that's why the current Mega STEs
and TTs have socketed FDCs. It is also the reason why Atari didn't
comment officially on the new capabilities of our favorite computer.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (06/25/91)

A friend of mine had an adress to a german company that sells 16 MHz
1772's (they are the same as the standard 8 Mhz, but is checked and
guaranteed by Western Digital to manage 16 MHz).  Interessted ?