[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disks

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) (11/19/86)

I've decided to buy a 20 meg hard disk and I was wondering what some
of the experiences have been with both the Atari and Supra varieties
(or other HD's for that matter).  I was reading that the Supra's don't
have a fan, but that the Atari's do.  Does it make any difference?
Any opinions on them are welcome.

Thanks

Bart
atwell@utah-cs

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (11/25/86)

[]

Add-on hard disks (for IBMs, say) are cheap since they come with no box
and no power supply.  Those can easily add $75 or more.

Could people who have attached SCSI drives tell us about this added problem?

(Radio Shack sells a surplus unit, originally designed for the Adam,
that gives 5V/1A, -5V/100mA, 12V/300mA.  I don't think that's enough
for any hard disks (?) but it's great for many other things, e.g. that
SECOND megabyte.  And they only ask $5 for it!  Go get a pair :-)

- Moshe Braner

turner@imagen.UUCP (11/28/86)

> []
>
> Add-on hard disks (for IBMs, say) are cheap since they come with no box
> and no power supply.  Those can easily add $75 or more.
>
> Could people who have attached SCSI drives tell us about this added problem?

i assume you mean power supply, the real drain is at spin up and the
amount of amps needed varies with the size and type of HD, my 5 1/2"
drive uses a 5V/3A and a 12V/30A power supply, but a 3 1/4" drive i
borrowed need much less, better to go for overkill than too little

> (Radio Shack sells a surplus unit, originally designed for the Adam,
> that gives 5V/1A, -5V/100mA, 12V/300mA.  I don't think that's enough
> for any hard disks (?) but it's great for many other things, e.g. that
> SECOND megabyte.  And they only ask $5 for it!  Go get a pair :-)

considering the sucess of the ADAM and the fact that they are
surplus.... i dunno, but im sure you'll blow your HD if you try
using the power supply for that

--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) (11/30/86)

In article <704@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
>> []
>>
>> Add-on hard disks (for IBMs, say) are cheap since they come with no box
>> and no power supply.  Those can easily add $75 or more.
>>
>> Could people who have attached SCSI drives tell us about this added problem?
>>
>i assume you mean power supply, the real drain is at spin up and the
>amount of amps needed varies with the size and type of HD, my 5 1/2"
>drive uses a 5V/3A and a 12V/30A power supply, but a 3 1/4" drive i
>borrowed need much less, better to go for overkill than too little

Does this imply that if you buy the Berekeley boards and an SCSI drive,
you have to buy a separate power supply for the drive (ie.  you can't
buy a hard drive for ~$350 with built in power)?  If this is true, how hard
is it to select and connect a power supply for the new hard drive, especially
if you have little experience with that sort of thing?

Bart
atwell@utah-cs

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (12/01/86)

question about "after market" HD deleted for brievity's sake

> Does this imply that if you buy the Berekeley boards and an SCSI drive,
> you have to buy a separate power supply for the drive (ie.  you can't
> buy a hard drive for ~$350 with built in power)?  If this is true, how hard
> is it to select and connect a power supply for the new hard drive, especially
> if you have little experience with that sort of thing?
>
> Bart
> atwell@utah-cs

all of the HD's i've encountered come without power supply for the
base price (used is a different story), hooking up a power supply is
trivial since they all (again that ive seen) take a standard keyed
connector, in fact its the same one that floppy disks use.

--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat
					- Winston Churchill

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

Peck@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA (Rodney) (05/19/87)

  I'm considering buying a hard disk for my 1040.  I've got some
questions about which I should get.  I don't plan to use my atari
forever, and I'd like to be able to use the hard disk on the next
machine I buy.  Will SCSI (or whatever the acronym is) be around in the
future?  Is it worth my time to buy a hard disk and plan to use it on
another machine?  I almost think that the hard disk I buy today will be
piddlingly small compared to disks of the same price in ten years.
  What are the brands and prices of the hard disks on the market?  what
drivers are needed for each hard disk?  Special utilities (format,
backup, etc)?

  I think it would be a GREAT service to all prospective hard disk
buyers if those of you with hard disks could send me a description of
your set up, I'll compile the results into a message and post it.
   --Rodney

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (12/19/88)

If Atari ever sends me the replacement for my ST (hey, folks, I'm still
waiting), and if I make it through the holidays without going into bankruptcy,
I'd like to hack together a low-budget hard drive. What I'm thinking of is:
   * Atari's host adaptor, which at least one dealer will sell me for $60.
   * Adaptec 4000, which I think Computer Surplus will sell for around $80.
   * An ST-506-type 10MB hard disk, which I see advertised for around $90.
   * ICD's formatting software, which is free.
   * A case from a junk electronics shop.
   * Cables, which I may be able to scrounge.
   * A power supply (cost unknown).

The whole package should be up and running (if it runs at all) for under $300.

Now, to the point of this note: Is there any reason why I should NOT put
together such a system? Warnings about pitfalls and hidden gremlins would be
welcomed. (To my pnet51 address, please, since thelake, my ST, is still off
the air.)

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) (12/22/88)

Steve Yelvington writes:

> I'd like to hack together a low-budget hard drive. What I'm thinking of is:
>   * Atari's host adaptor, which at least one dealer will sell me for $60.
>   * Adaptec 4000, which I think Computer Surplus will sell for around $80.
>   * An ST-506-type 10MB hard disk, which I see advertised for around $90.
>   * ICD's formatting software, which is free.
>   * A case from a junk electronics shop.
>   * Cables, which I may be able to scrounge.
>   * A power supply (cost unknown).

> The whole package should be up and running (if it runs at all) for under $300.

Yes, I think that you should go ahead and build your own drive if you've
got the time.  However, I personally wouldn't bother buying a 10 MB
drive.  How much more would a 20 MB cost you?  If the answer is $50-$70
I would go ahead and buy the extra capacity up front.  You'll probably
want it before long.

					Good Luck!

					Ron Abramson

P.S. Last time I checked, my opinions were my own, but I could be
mistaken.

c184-au@holden.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Filner) (03/13/89)

There was a good article in STart by Dave Small a few years back about
how to attach two hard disk mechs to a currently functioning hard drive.
It works something like this :
One drive has to be logical unit 0, one drive has to be logical unit 1.
Set the jumpers/switches/whatever on the disk mechs in this manner.
Both drives are connected by a (non-twisted) 34 pin ribbon cable.  The
cable runs from one drive mech to the next drive mech to the seagate->scsi
interface. The drive that is in the middle has its terminating resistor
removed. The one on the end doesn't : it is the terminating drive.
Each drive is connected by a 20 pin cable to the interface.
Logically selected drive 0 is connected to the interface's connection #0,
drive #1 goes to interface connection #1.  Both drives need power, and
that's just about everything you need to know.
Some 34 pin cables have a 5-pin segment twisted around between two of
the connectors.. this is for swapping drive select signals -- in this
case I believe that both disk mechs should be set to logical unit 0.
(I use a non-twisted cable..)
I followed the article by Small in STart when I hooked up my system
and have had few troubles.

  The system I use is a BMS ACSI-->SCSI interface, an adaptec 4070
SCSI-->ST506(RLL) interface, a Seagate 238R and a Seagate 277R.
This totals approximately 95 MB at a cost of around $1000.
The BMS board doesn't seem to have attracted much attention on this
Newsgroup discussion.. I recommend it, especially if you're in the
Berkeley area.  When my hard disk died (my own fault), I took my
system to their shack and they  kindly helped me out with data recovery.

No fancy sign off -
Dan Filner
c184-au@holden.berkeley.edu

ron@gsbmva.uchicago.edu (Ronald J. Rangel) (03/30/89)

I have a 1040ST and an IBM clone.  Is it possible for me to set up a system
so that they could share an external hard disk?  Can I get a system
with a switch that could route the signals to a 1040 or the IBM?  This
SEEMS kinda easy but hey I studied software not hardware so what
do I know? ;-)

If I could do this then it would justify blowing big bucks on a great
harddisk/tape backup system.

			Thanks
			Ron

malay@sae.com (Bob Malay) (06/21/91)

A month ago I purchased a 1040STe and have upgraded it to 4 Megs. I now
want to buy a hard disk in the $500-$600 range preferably >= 50 Megs and
not slow with clock and ICD Adv+. Anybody got anything to say about these
choices:

D & P Computer's 85 MB 28 MS   $584
Joppa Computer Products 82 MB 19MS $609
Toad Computers 85MB 24MS $599
L & Y Electronics  Supra 110 MB $599
Rising Star Computers ICE Systems 85MB $579

If you know of anybody else in this price/performance range that I should
consider - explain ?

Bob Malay

malay@sae.com (Bob Malay) (06/25/91)

A while ago I posted a plea for information concerning hard disk drives. I am
in the market for one and I'm interested in what is being used out there.
Whats good, bad? Why?

For example, is the Supra any good? Is it slow/fast/noisy?

Forget about that Amiga crap - I need some honest help here!

Bob Malay

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.153957.25883@sae.com>, malay@sae.com (Bob Malay) writes:
------
 A while ago I posted a plea for information concerning hard disk drives. I am
 in the market for one and I'm interested in what is being used out there.
 Whats good, bad? Why?

 For example, is the Supra any good? Is it slow/fast/noisy?

 Forget about that Amiga crap - I need some honest help here!

 Bob Malay
------
Frankly, I recommend everyone to buy ICD stuff, be it internal or external.
The problem of hard drives is much of a software nature and I think most
people agree that ICD's are the best. And then you can buy any of the
SCSI drives in the market. Mine is Conner Peripherals' SCSI drive housed
by a Japanese case and power supply, etc. and it is quieter than my MEGA ST.
The speed? It is rather slow but 570 KB per second, which isn't too bad (
I understand 500+ KB per second things are generally regarded as fast).

Cheers,
Tsuji