[comp.sys.atari.st] Games

mjd@doc.ic.ac.uk (Martin J Davies) (07/10/87)

<Munch....>

	All this discussion about how the ST is no games machine I
went out and bought GAUNTLET for it yesterday. Wow this is what a
computer is really for ! It costs about 25 Pounds in the UK (~=40$)
and is a pretty close version of the good ole arcade classic.
Has any one else playyed it yet ? Has anyone met the theif ?
Ive been to level 17 (past the first treasure room) and have not seen
him. The two drawbacks to the game are :-

	1) Only two can play , tho' they can select any of the usual players
	2) I dont get any work done ! (two people playin' Gauntlet is much more
fun than Time Bandit .

MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (07/15/87)

eagle!icdoc!mjd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Martin J Davies)  writes:
>    All this discussion about how the ST is no games machine I
>went out and bought GAUNTLET for it yesterday.  Wow this is what a
>computer is really for ! It costs about 25 Pounds in the UK (~=40$)

WHAT?  Gauntlet is available for the ST?????   When does it ship for the
USA??   I am an Atari dealer, and I *know* I didn't see this in the
Atari dealer catalog!    I WANT THIS PROGRAM!  -pant pant-
If there isn't any forthcoming U.S. release, I would like to find some
kind soul in the UK to whom I can send the price of the program, and they
can buy it and mail it to me in the U.S.  What with the amount of
quarters I put into that game in the arcade, it's cheap at any price to
have it at home!

Michael P. Cohan
The Computer Bug, Inc.
Hampshire Mall
Hadley, MA 01035       (413) 584-7722  "Authorized Atari Sales & Service"

KEITH%SYSD.SALFORD.AC.UK%UCL-CS.ARPA@ac.UK (Keith Wolstenholme) (07/21/87)

I don't have Gauntlet (yet) but I have seen it running and it is
very close to the original. The programmers were forced to cut
back on some features to fit it into the 520ST, including a 4
player option (2 players using the keyboard) and the thief.

There was an article on the game in a copy of "Computer & Video Games"
(a U.K. magazine) and there was a suggestion of an "executive" version
for 1040's which re-instates these features and adds music in the
treasure rooms and more sampled sound effects.

It is produced by:

      U.S. Gold Ltd.
      Units 2/3 Holford Way
      Holford
      Birmingham
      B6 7AX
      England

and costs 24.99 Pounds (about $40). Other arcade conversions,
either available now or scheduled before September include Xevious,
Road Runner, Metrocross, Solomons Key and Indiana Jones and the Temple
of Doom (looks very good from the pre-release info). I've no idea
when, or if, these will be distributed in the U.S.

It is rumoured that Activision (UK) is converting Quartet (already
out on the C64) and Rampage for the ST, that Firebird may be attempting
a conversion of Elite (will "solid" graphics - I can't wait), and that
Beyond may finally release their (reportedly) superb version of Star
Trek "real soon now".

Finally, if there is any U.K. "netter" on JANET who has managed to
access PROG-A16 or ATARINET could you tell me the secrets of your
success ? Thanks.

Keith Wolstenholme
JANET: <KEITH@UK.AC.SALFORD.SYSD>

Sheldon_Hijacker_Chang@cup.portal.com (07/24/87)

     Hey what company makes Gauntlet??  Atari???  I want to get it!!

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (03/14/91)

what are other car games that are good.i love hard driven 1 it i
great.anyone use hard driven 2 yet?
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/15/91)

In article <7991@crash.cts.com>, chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) writes:
>what are other car games that are good.i love hard driven 1 it i
>great.anyone use hard driven 2 yet?

Arrrgh!  Does anyone know of a grammatical preprocessor this guy could use?!?
Sheeesh!  As per your query, I would highly recommend Stunt Car Driver.  Really
fast, really smooth 3-D graphics . . .  Also, this game is a blast if you
direct connect two ST's together and play two player.  Also, the best driving
simulation (most realistic feeling) that I have played is Sega's Super Hang-On
(motorcycle racing game).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up

KRR102@psuvm.psu.edu (03/19/91)

     Hey out there, can anyone tell me if there is a ST version of the followin
g 8bit games:  Castle Wolfenstein I and/or II, and M.U.L.E.????

                                                           Aloha,
                                                                 MW

ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Greg Granger) (03/20/91)

KRR102@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>      Hey out there, can anyone tell me if there is a ST version of the follow
> g 8bit games:  Castle Wolfenstein I and/or II, and M.U.L.E.????
>

>                                                            Aloha,
>                                                                  MW

If you're looking for a ST version of M.U.L.E. from Electronic Arts, you
are SOL.  A person in New York State is in the process of making a clone
of it (called M.O.L.E.), but I don't know how far he is.

As far as CW I or II go, you know as much as I do in that regards.  You
must have had either a Commodore 64 or an Apple II at one time in your
life to have experiences with those 2 games.

Greg Granger

= INet:  ersys!ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca           =
= Fnet:  Greg Granger (Node 532) Dark Knight (Node 595)=
= Post:  5906-188 Street  Edmonton, AB  Canada T6M-2A9 =
= Tele:  +1 403 481-0803  OR  +1 403 481-5110          =

P. S. Dave L., if you have your UseNet feed up and running on your Sun
yet, and you are reading this msg., please let us know about your
progress on M.O.L.E.

Greg Granger             ersys!ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

johnb@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (John Bunch) (03/20/91)

CW was also available for the 8-bit..  I had it...  I think I had II,
I know nothing about it being availabe for the ST.  Sorry...

John
*        John Bunch       * 610 Morris St. * To be filled with a nifty *
* johnb@gnu.ai.mit.edu    * Albany,NY      * quote at a later date...  *
*                         * 12208          *                           *

depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) (03/20/91)

In article <uwD4y1w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Greg Granger) writes:
 >KRR102@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

 >>      Hey out there, can anyone tell me if there is a ST version of the follow
 >> g 8bit games:  Castle Wolfenstein I and/or II, and M.U.L.E.????

 >As far as CW I or II go, you know as much as I do in that regards.  You
 >must have had either a Commodore 64 or an Apple II at one time in your
 >life to have experiences with those 2 games.

speaking of games by Silas Warner, it seems lots of us have roots back in
the 8 bit days, has anyone seen a good game which is like ROBOTWAR which
came out by the same company/author who wrote Castle Wolfenstein and MULE?

--
|S. Alan Ezust		: McGill University School of Computer Science      |
|depeche@cs.mcgill.ca	:	     Montreal, Quebec, Canada		    |

bandersnatch@pro-haven.cts.com (Kevin Raley) (06/26/91)

AS I am in the black hole of cultural activity, I have very little access
to ANYONE supporting the ST line of software. I am an avid FRP gamer and
have finished (among others) Dungeon Masters 1 & 2, Bloodwych 1 & 2,
Phantasie 1-4, Ultima 1-5, & Bard's Tale. I recently purchaced a game
called Legend of Faergail by Rainbow Zoo & it is givin me a LOT of prvlems
with HD installation and software quirks...Has anyone else had these
experiences with this game?

Oh yeah- Anyone knowing of anything new (or recent) game-wise please inform
me, I hear that the people who made Captive are producing a Fantasy game of
the same quality called Knightmare, and would like to know if anyone has
seen it...

Oh well, thanx fer the ear & I'll be seein ya in the net!

                                            Bandersnatch
----
ProLine:  bandersnatch@pro-haven                    Kevin Raley
Internet: bandersnatch@pro-haven.cts.com