[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Software from British distributors

dddean@bluemoon.uucp (David D. Dean) (06/24/91)

Hello:

        I have just recently started collecting 'ST ACTION', and was
intrigued by the programs that are available from British distributors,
and was wondering if anyone in the US has used any of them?  I know that
the prices will be higher than what is listed in the magazines, but I
would love to get some of the programs over there that I cannot over here.
 Also:  Would there be any type of compatibility problems?  I have heard
that the programs over there will not run on our US machines.

Thanks for any info... In Advance!

You can send any replies to:
David D. Dean, President       David D. Dean, Vice Chairman
Explorer Post 891              Exploring Officer's Association
AT&T Systems/Bell Labs         Central Ohio Council
dddean@bluemoon.uucp           Columbus, OH  43227

**** Any opinions are that of the author, and NOT of AT&T ****

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (06/24/91)

An American buying software from UK won't have much trouble as you say.
Given the same TOS, the difference is only a few keyboard assignments (
@,~,# or something like it). The situation is much better than getting
software from other part of Europe: the keyboards are very different!
But if you don't hit a key, the program should run without a hitch.

One thing worthy to note: when UK vendors export, they cannot charge the
notorious 17 per cent Value Added Tax. And 17 per cent is usually cheaper
than the air mail parcel post cost.

Cheers,
Tsuji

bandersnatch@pro-haven.cts.com (Kevin Raley) (06/26/91)

I too have recently purchased a couple of recent issues of ST Action and
have been quite impressed with the enclosed demos- Pity we have to wait six
months for half of the things advertised therein.
----
ProLine:  bandersnatch@pro-haven                    Kevin Raley
Internet: bandersnatch@pro-haven.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-haven!bandersnatch