[comp.sys.atari.st] Review of LHARC Test Archive Function

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (06/19/91)

In article <RALPH.91Jun7120359@orion.laas.fr>, ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P.
Sobek) writes:
[LHarc test results deleted.]

|> I hope that these results might be of use to all.

Oh yes, it is. They clearly show at least two facts:

1. You have to fiddle around to get a proper LHarc version.

2. If you pack something with (your version of) LHarc you can't be sure
   the fellow at the receiving end will be able to unpack it, because he
   might not have an edequate LHarc.

Your test still leaves open the question if the tested LHarcs are
compatible to one or more Unix LHarcs.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (06/19/91)

In article <3545@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
| Your test still leaves open the question if the tested LHarcs are
| compatible to one or more Unix LHarcs.

I use xlharc that was posted to USENET.  It works *very* well, since I
test all the archives before bringing them to my Mega 4 ST.  I then
retest them on my Atari to be sure that all is fine.  Its reference is
the following:

C-LHarc for
Usage: %s {axevlufdmctp}[qnftv] archive_file [files or directories...]
 Version 1.00   (C) 1989-1990 Y.Tagawa, Kai Uwe Rommel

The original Unix lharc had problems for uncompressed file members, a
common problem for many of the ST lharc versions that abound.  Someone
locally patched the initial Unix lharc.  Its reference is:

C-LHarc for UNIX Version 1.00   (C) 1989-1990 Y.Tagawa, Kai Uwe Rommel

Unfortunately, they are virtually indistinguishable.  Xlharc was
posted to the net by B. Davidsen.

Hope that this helps further.
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

the.fawn@mcshh.hanse.de (Thomas Quester) (06/26/91)

>|> I hope that these results might be of use to all.

>Oh yes, it is. They clearly show at least two facts:

>1. You have to fiddle around to get a proper LHarc version.
If you have the wrong version of LHarc, you indeed need several versions.
Before releasing LZH1.13.20 I tested it with every version of LHarc I could
get. This includes John Webbs LHarc 0.6, several Unix versions, LHA 1.21
and Strunk. In some archives LZH 1.13.20 could not read the crc, but it
is still able to decode the archive.

>2. If you pack something with (your version of) LHarc you can't be sure
>   the fellow at the receiving end will be able to unpack it, because he
>   might not have an edequate LHarc.

>Your test still leaves open the question if the tested LHarcs are
>compatible to one or more Unix LHarcs.

I WOULD like to send my newest version to the net. But it dosen't work.
Perhaps someone can send me a instruction how to send a binary from
germany?