[comp.sys.atari.st] What do I use to view 'sps' images?

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) (06/27/91)

Pulled the NAGEL image files off of atari.archive, none of my viewers
can show them.  Is there an atari.archive picture viewer that understands
'x.sps' images?

Thanx in advance.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

lsmichae@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael) (06/27/91)

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) writes:

>Pulled the NAGEL image files off of atari.archive, none of my viewers
>can show them.  Is there an atari.archive picture viewer that understands
>'x.sps' images?

>Thanx in advance.

Try spslidex.prg from atari.archive, it should work.
BTW, SPS-files are SPectrum Squeezed pics.

Have fun,
---

								Lars

+----------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|     lsmichae@faui43.uni-erlangen.de    |    | | |                         |
|             Lars Michael               |    | | |   "Down with ATARI,     |
|  Graduate Student of Computer Science  |   /  |  \  Long live the ST !"   |
|    at University of Erlangen/Germany   |  /   |   \                       |
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------------|
|  "May the Schwartz be with you!"                                          |

iws9060@eva.fmi.uni-passau.de (Thorsten Guenther) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun27.083813.10159@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> lsmichae@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael) writes:

>Try spslidex.prg from atari.archive, it should work.
>BTW, SPS-files are SPectrum Squeezed pics.

I thought it were SPectrum 512 Sequences, i.e. films like the .GL files in
the PC area. BTW is there a possibility to convert .GL to .SPS? Perhaps by
converting the single images and then re-linking them? Are there programs to
rip .GL files into .GIF and to combine .SPC or .SPU to .SPS? Which System,
Atari or MesS-DOS?

                                    Thorsten Guenther
                                    aka Weregoose

iws9060@eva.fmi.uni-passau.de (Thorsten Guenther) writes:

>I thought it were SPectrum 512 Sequences, i.e. films like the .GL files in
>the PC area. [... stuff deleted]

No, no sequences. Here is an extract of Dave Baggetts ST picture
formats list:

---------- CUT HERE -------------------

<Spectrum 512 (Smooshed)>          *.SPS

   This format compresses Spectrum 512 pictures better than the standard
method.  There are at least two programs that support this format, SPSLIDEX
and ANISPEC, although the two seem to differ slightly in their interpretation
of the format.
   One point of interest: Shamus McBride deciphered this format without an ST!

1 word          5350 (hex) ("SP")
1 word          0 (reserved for future use)
1 long          length of data bit map
1 long          length of color bit map
<= ? bytes      compressed data bit map
<= ? bytes      compressed color bit map
----------
< ?  bytes      total

---------- CUT HERE -------------------

Hope this ends the discussion,
---

								Lars

+----------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|     lsmichae@faui43.uni-erlangen.de    |    | | |                         |
|             Lars Michael               |    | | |   "Down with ATARI,     |
|  Graduate Student of Computer Science  |   /  |  \  Long live the ST !"   |
|    at University of Erlangen/Germany   |  /   |   \                       |
|  "May the Schwartz be with you!"                                          |

Bryan_Jones_Woodworth@cup.portal.com (06/28/91)

I would love to see any way to convert .GL to .SPS!  We atari users
need a way to view GRASPRT..

Bryan_Jones_Woodworth@cup.portal.com