[comp.sys.atari.st] What archiving format?

D.B.Barratt@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Barratt) (06/21/91)

I'm a bit confused regarding the different formats available for
archiving files e.g. arc, lharc, zoo etc. Is any one of these
formats more efficient or reliable than the others, if so does
this not make the others somewhat redundant? Is there any
compatibility between the different formats?

In other words which format should I be using to archive my
files?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Barratt                     JANET: D.B.Barratt@uk.ac.newcastle
Computing Laboratory
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
UK

             " A spacers not a spacer till his trod vac "

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.152722.17873@newcastle.ac.uk>,
D.B.Barratt@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Barratt) writes:
|> I'm a bit confused regarding the different formats available for
|> archiving files e.g. arc, lharc, zoo etc. Is any one of these
|> formats more efficient or reliable than the others, if so does
|> this not make the others somewhat redundant? Is there any
|> compatibility between the different formats?

ARC:
Fast, reliable and effective. Since version 6.02 arc can archive complete
directories. Unfortunately it cannot store/extract dedicated files from a
directory :-(.

ZOO:
Not as fast as arc but very reliable. The most flexible archiving system.
You can put several versions of a file into an archive, associate comments
with archive elements and much more. Reading the zoo manual is really
worthwhile! Zoo archives need some more space than others. My favorite
archiver for larger distributions with nested directories. I also use it to
backup my program development directories because I can store several
versions of the source files.

LHARC:
Slow and unreliable. It has become popular because it has the best
compression factor. However, archiving and extracting is really slow. There
are several not always compatible LHarc versions by different authors
floating around. So if you don't have the right LHarc you might not be able
to extract an archive at all. Just say NO.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (06/27/91)

In <3564@laura.UUCP>, Rainer Klute writes:
>LHARC:
>Slow and unreliable. It has become popular because it has the best
>compression factor. However, archiving and extracting is really slow. There
>are several not always compatible LHarc versions by different authors
>floating around. So if you don't have the right LHarc you might not be able
>to extract an archive at all. Just say NO.
You haven't ever used LHArc 1.1321, have you? Give it a try and start
thinkig about using LHArc again...
/s/
--
Udo Erdelhoff        ue@nathan.ruhr.de        Fido: Udo Erdelhoff on 2:245/52.1

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (06/27/91)

In article <A0b7mrze@nathan.ruhr.de>, ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) writes:
|> You haven't ever used LHArc 1.1321, have you? Give it a try and start
|> thinkig about using LHArc again...

Whatever the advantages of LHArc 1.1321 might be (faster?), it does solve
the problem of those many incompatible LHarcs. Using LHarc of whatever
version could only under the following conditions be tolerated:

- There is only one LHarc version at a time.
- The source code is maintained by a single person or team.
- The source code is completely written in C (no assembly
  "optimizations").
- The source code is suitable for most (better: all) machines and
  operating systems.

--

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (06/27/91)

In article <3580@laura.UUCP>, klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
> Using LHarc of whatever
> version could only under the following conditions be tolerated:

Add to Rainer's list:

- The source code and executable code should be Public Domain (ie. no calls
  for Shareware fees involved)

One of the reasons I despise most of the LHarc versions is that their authors
are trying to make a buck while they introduce incompatibilities.  (The author
of xlharc 1.2 excluded from this list...)

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (06/28/91)

Just a slight correction and addendum to the following.

In article <3564@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

| LHARC:
| Slow and unreliable. It has become popular because it has the best
| compression factor. However, archiving and extracting is really slow. There
| are several not always compatible LHarc versions by different authors
| floating around. So if you don't have the right LHarc you might not be able
| to extract an archive at all. Just say NO.

LHARC is *extremely* slow to make an archive, but it is usually
considered as a fast extractor, in addition to its compression factor.

I would just like to point out that sometimes ZOO creates a better
compressed archive than does LHARC.
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.