[comp.sys.atari.st] lharc woes

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (06/19/91)

here he goes again...

as an (outspoken?) opponent of lharc (until it gets it sh*t together),
i read with interest a previous post about testing at least a dozen
(!!!!!!!) versions of lharc on a particularly nasty file. since at least
one of them (2, i think) worked, the file COULD be considered "good"
(not by ME or any other sane, rational user, however).

then i came across this gem:

In article <1991Jun18.151348.795@ccu.umanitoba.ca> bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) writes:
>(To all the progenitors of lharc and .lzh files: I hope you die a
>thousand miserable deaths, choking forever on the few megs of disk
>space you've managed to save the world at the expense of countless
>hours of frustration and wasted time and net bandwidth.)

i LOVE this guy. he hits the point home! "a pox on you [lharc-ers] and
all your ancesters" as ed norton would say :-).

and NO, as much as i would REALLY like to, i will NOT eat my words (yet :-)

so you STILL think i am nuts? (rhetorical: don't answer that... :-)

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

(incidently, i will try to ftp mgif v3.5 to terminator tonite if i can.
it takes steve tons of time to post. i will post to c.{s,b}.a.st as well.)
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun19.012653.8005@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:

>as an (outspoken?) opponent of lharc (until it gets it sh*t together),
>i read with interest a previous post about testing at least a dozen
>(!!!!!!!) versions of lharc on a particularly nasty file. since at least
>one of them (2, i think) worked, the file COULD be considered "good"
>(not by ME or any other sane, rational user, however).
>
>then i came across this gem:
>
>In article <1991Jun18.151348.795@ccu.umanitoba.ca> bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) writes:
>>(To all the progenitors of lharc and .lzh files: I hope you die a
>>thousand miserable deaths, choking forever on the few megs of disk
>>space you've managed to save the world at the expense of countless
>>hours of frustration and wasted time and net bandwidth.)
>
>i LOVE this guy. he hits the point home! "a pox on you [lharc-ers] and
>all your ancesters" as ed norton would say :-).
>
>and NO, as much as i would REALLY like to, i will NOT eat my words (yet :-)
>
>so you STILL think i am nuts? (rhetorical: don't answer that... :-)

     Well, I wouldn't exactly say that, but I agree that all the
incompatible versions are bad enough that I won't support LHARC
for the time being either.  In retrospect, the law suit against
Phil Katz by the originator or "ARC" was right too.  Katz was on
the same road to messing up the .arc file standard that these
guys are on with .lzh files.  The only things I use by choice now
are ARC 6.02 and Zoo.  At least I know with some certainty that
anyone on almost any computer in the world will be able to unpack
these and with a minimum of frustration due to "incompatible versions."

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.012653.8005@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
> [...]
>
>In article <1991Jun18.151348.795@ccu.umanitoba.ca> bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) writes:
>>(To all the progenitors of lharc and .lzh files: I hope you die a
>>thousand miserable deaths, choking forever on the few megs of disk
>>space you've managed to save the world at the expense of countless
>>hours of frustration and wasted time and net bandwidth.)
>
>i LOVE this guy. he hits the point home! "a pox on you [lharc-ers] and
>all your ancesters" as ed norton would say :-).
>
>and NO, as much as i would REALLY like to, i will NOT eat my words (yet :-)
>
>so you STILL think i am nuts? (rhetorical: don't answer that... :-)

Just some random mutterings...

Have you tried the version of lharc in the gnustuff directory on a.a? I've
yet to find a .lzh which it couldn't handle. The difference in compression
ratios between zoo and lharc is quite considerable, up to 30%. Arc is
somewhere in between.

My complaint with lharc is that's its's too damn slow. I still mainly use zoo
because I just can't be bothered to spend hours waiting for lharc.

As long as people stop using the brain-dead Arc I really don't mind which one
they use... let's hope we can avoid tar and compress, at least until Minix
support in MiNT is better. :-)
--
/* 'Grave' Dave Gymer --------- Internet: dpg@Cs.Nott.AC.UK *\
+* 42 St Marys Park, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0EF, England *+

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.120942.28747@cs.nott.ac.uk> dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) writes:
>Just some random mutterings...

i expect no more :-)

>Have you tried the version of lharc in the gnustuff directory on a.a? I've

this is not the point. the fact that i can (eventually) FIND a version
of lharc to unpack any particulary archive may sound like there is no
problem at all. there is. the SEARCH for the lharc version to do it IS
the problem. until all the various lharc developers (many of whose work
by itself is excellent, BTW) get together and standardize an extensible
file format, this is basically still russian roulette.

>My complaint with lharc is that's its's too damn slow. I still mainly use zoo
>because I just can't be bothered to spend hours waiting for lharc.

yes, this, too is a major problem. i consider MY time far more valuable
than the few pennies i save on floppies (which can cost as little as $0.35
each). my time (to me, anyway) is more like $50-100/hour. if i can archive
say 10 MB/hr with arc and only 5 MB/hr with lharc, and lharc saves me
50%, then i wasted $50 of my time to save maybe $2 on disks. hardly worth
it. after all, we are only on the planet for a short time. i'd hate
to waste it waiting for lharc :-) (or continuing this debate as well)

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (06/22/91)

Hi,
what about giving STZip a try? Ok, it's still called a beta version, but
it works, its faster than LHarc, and the compression rate is alomost the
same as LHarc's...
The actual version is 0.9beta...
/s/
--
Udo Erdelhoff                               smart: ue@nathan.ruhr.de
Am Westheck 170                             Fido:  Udo Erdelhoff on 2:245/52.1

Vincent.Pomey@linn.fidonet.org (Vincent Pomey) (06/23/91)

In a message of <20 Jun 91  12:09:42>, dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) writes:

 > My complaint with lharc is that's its's too damn slow. I still mainly

You could try using STZip, it process zip files (compatible with PKZip on PC),
is faster than LHArc 1.13.19, compress roughly the same (better on big text
files, worse on very small files), and has a built-in GEM interface.

Should appear in comp.binaries.atari.st soon.

    Vincent.Pomey@linn.fidonet.org
 or tfd.com!afp!gna!linn!vincent

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (06/26/91)

In article <A0b7du58@nathan.ruhr.de> ue@nathan.ruhr.de writes:
>Hi,
>what about giving STZip a try? Ok, it's still called a beta version, but
>it works, its faster than LHarc, and the compression rate is alomost the
>same as LHarc's...
>The actual version is 0.9beta...

ONLY, repeat ONLY iff 1) there is full source for ST, Unix, VMS, and
whatever, 2) ONLY (again) if there is only ONE, repeat, ONE version,
fully controlled by ONE group (not 10+ like lharc), 3) ONLY if it is
so much better than zoo (2.01 or 2.10 or the new, soon to be released
version) that it is much faster (both compression and decompression),
much easier to use (command line interface, arguably zoo's single
weakness, with hooks to add it to arcgsh et al for those prefering
GEM), much better compression, much more feature laden, but not so
much as to get in the way, etc.

please do NOT start posting archives in this format. i would propose
a vote (here?), preceded by extensive testing (on ALL platforms) before
this happens. and i am reluctant to use anything labeled "beta" for
archival. beta s/w should be used by beta testers, NOT the entire
community.

[ note that my initial reaction, of course, was "SHEESH! ANOTHER
ARCHIVER FORMAT TO DEAL WITH" but i calmed down... :-) ]

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
--

In article <fido_2:320/100_2863aa8b@linn.fidonet.org> Vincent.Pomey@linn.fidonet.org (Vincent Pomey) writes:
>You could try using STZip, it process zip files (compatible with PKZip on PC),
>is faster than LHArc 1.13.19, compress roughly the same (better on big text
>files, worse on very small files), and has a built-in GEM interface.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

why? does this mean it won't port to unix et al? if so, i recommend against
it...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
(defender of portability :-)

--

the.fawn@mcshh.hanse.de (Thomas Quester) (06/26/91)

>My complaint with lharc is that's its's too damn slow. I still mainly use zoo
>because I just can't be bothered to spend hours waiting for lharc.

>As long as people stop using the brain-dead Arc I really don't mind which one
>they use... let's hope we can avoid tar and compress, at least until Minix
>support in MiNT is better. :-)

If you are using the wrong version of LHarc, it IS slow. The slowes of them
all is John Webbs 0.xx. The LZH 1.13.20 is about 4 times faster than the
original 1.13, because the whole compression and decompression is entierly
written in assembler. It should be about twice as fast as LHA 1.21 in
decoding and about 3 times faster in coding.

----

Thomas Quester * Lampenland 9 * 2050 Hamburg 80

the.fawn@mcshh.hanse.de (Thomas Quester) (06/26/91)

>this is not the point. the fact that i can (eventually) FIND a version
>of lharc to unpack any particulary archive may sound like there is no
>problem at all. there is. the SEARCH for the lharc version to do it IS
>the problem. until all the various lharc developers (many of whose work
>by itself is excellent, BTW) get together and standardize an extensible
>file format, this is basically still russian roulette.
If you have any problem with any archive and the version 1.13.20 or newer,
why not send it to me. If the archive is not damaged or if it is'nt coded
with LHA 2.xx on a PC, I will adapt my version of LHarc to read this kind
of archives.

If you get an error-message "Unknown method", your archive is packed with
LHA 2.xx on a PC. This is impossible to adapt to the atari st until there
are sources available,

If you get CRC-Errors on many files, you probably have a damaged archive.
You could then try to download it again.

---
Thomas Quester * Lampenland 9 * 2050 Hamburg 80

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (06/28/91)

In <9331@mcshh.hanse.de>, Thomas Quester writes:
Hi Thomas,
>If you get an error-message "Unknown method", your archive is packed with
>LHA 2.xx on a PC. This is impossible to adapt to the atari st until there
>are sources available,
I already sent you the sources for an lh5 extractor/creator via email (on
wednesday). Did you recieve them already? The program works perfect and
very fast (altough it's pure C)...
So the problem with the LHA 2.xx archives using the lh5 compression method
should be over...
/s/
--
Udo Erdelhoff        ue@nathan.ruhr.de        Fido: Udo Erdelhoff on 2:245/52.1