[comp.sys.atari.st] Amiga is better then [sic] what???

robart@agora.rain.com (Barton) (06/28/91)

In an article Rod.Fulk@f24.n228.z1.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) writes:
> Compare OS's... The St is built with a much more complete OS then ANY of
> the amiga OS's.. (The 2.0 doesnt really count at this point since last time
> I looked it was not available on amiga 500's yet)

  No, it's not available for the A500 yet.  Feature-wise, I believe AmigaOS 2.0
was done some time ago, and Commodore programmers have spent the last several
months trying to make it compatible with older software.  Unfortunately some
people who developed software for the Amiga brought along various bad habits
which they picked up while developing for more primitive, non-multitasking
systems, thus leading to buggy software.

> Of course the amiga does multitask but I have very little use for multitasking..

  That's what many people say, until they try Amiga multitasking.

> As to sound? Well The ST is the only one so far that has the capability of 3d
> sound. The STe series computers have the capability of using 3 seperate
> speakers with different sounds out of each.... 2 of those full 8 bit digital..

  How many bits is the other channel?

> ALL the memory can be used in an ST as compared to the amigas limitation
> of chip memory...

  So you're saying the ST can use all 16 Megs for graphics?  I admit I wasn't
aware of that.  I thought it used a screen buffer.

> (Note the ST does not waste memory... You must waste memory on an amiga to
> do double buffered graphics and digital sound at the same time.)

  Please explain what you mean by "wasting" memory.