[comp.sys.atari.st] Sybex STe/TT systems book

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) (06/24/91)

Has anyone in Germany purchased the new 1500 page Sybex book on the Atari
STe/TT?  The author is Reschke and the German edition ISBN is 388 745 8885.
To order, contact:

		 Sybex Verlag GmbH
                 Vogelsanger Weg 111
		 D-4000 Duesseldorf 30
		 West Germany
		 Phone: (49) 211 618020
		 FAX:   (49) 211 6180227

If you have it, could you please elaborate on the contents?  Also, I would
like to know the price and if there is any indication that it will be trans-
lated to English (or your willingness to do so!).

Thanks,
Jack

seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Uwe Seimet [Chemie]) (06/24/91)

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) writes:

>Has anyone in Germany purchased the new 1500 page Sybex book on the Atari
>STe/TT?

	... stuff deleted ...

>If you have it, could you please elaborate on the contents?  Also, I would
>like to know the price and if there is any indication that it will be trans-
>lated to English (or your willingness to do so!).

I am still waiting for it but according to SYBEX it will be available in these
days. What do you say about it, Julian?

*              Uwe Seimet                              *
*              seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de                   *
* I hate this machine, I wish that they would sell it. *
* It doesn't do what I want but only what I tell it.   *
* (Programmer's lament)                                *

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (06/26/91)

In article <13612@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W.
Wine) says:

>Has anyone in Germany purchased the new 1500 page Sybex book on the Atari
>STe/TT?  The author is Reschke and the German edition ISBN is 388 745 8885.
>To order, contact:

Smile. Nobody has it -- yet. It's not finished.

>                 Sybex Verlag GmbH
>                 Vogelsanger Weg 111
>                 D-4000 Duesseldorf 30
>                 West Germany
>                 Phone: (49) 211 618020
>                 FAX:   (49) 211 6180227
>
>If you have it, could you please elaborate on the contents?  Also, I would
>like to know the price and if there is any indication that it will be trans-
>lated to English (or your willingness to do so!).

It contains all information you need about TOS and GEM (well, I HOPE so...),
including all new features up to TOS versions 2.05 and 3.05. The second half
of the book contains lots of technical details about the hardware (again
including the STE/Mega STE and TT hardware; SCC, SCSI and so on).

The price will be DM 89.- oder 99.-. And yes, we (the authors) and Sybex
*ARE* interested in translations. Please contact Sybex U.S. or an other
US book company, if you are _really_ interested that this will be done.

>Thanks,
>Jack
___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) (06/27/91)

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) writes:

>It contains all information you need about TOS and GEM (well, I HOPE so...),
>including all new features up to TOS versions 2.05 and 3.05. The second half
>of the book contains lots of technical details about the hardware (again
>including the STE/Mega STE and TT hardware; SCC, SCSI and so on).

It sounds like a great resource!  If you are able (and allowed) to provide
complete information on the mysterious GAL chips, it would be a relief.  In-
structions about the VME bus is needed and an indepth review of Atari Unix
would be welcomed too.

I'll get it in whatever language available, although most of my knowledge
of German comes from watching the interesting ITV shows, "Derrick" and "Drei
Damen Von Grille" (Three Ladies and their Wiener Mobile).

>The price will be DM 89.- oder 99.-. And yes, we (the authors) and Sybex
>*ARE* interested in translations. Please contact Sybex U.S. or an other
>US book company, if you are _really_ interested that this will be done.

The person to contact at Sybex US is Diane King.  She said that they are open
to suggestions, so if everyone gives her a friendly call, it could favorably
influence her decision to commission a translation.

Someone mentioned that there were software-based German-to-English translators
so maybe that method can be tried.  Does anyone has experience with them?

The following is a list of all the Sybex divisions.  People outside of US
might want to express their desire for the book/translated editions by calling
their nearest sales representative and request that they contact Diane King
at Sybex USA, so that she may gauge the depth of interest world-wide.

[Title: Atari STe/TT systems book, author: Julian Reschke, ISBN: 388 745 8885]
[release date: ?]

Sybex U.S.
Phone: 800 227-2346, (415) 523-8233 (ext. 356, Diane King)
Fax  : (415) 523-2373
Telex: 336311

Sybex Verlag GmbH (Germany)
Phn: (49) 211 618020
Fax: (49) 211 6180227
Tlx: 8588163

Sybex S.A.R.L. (France)
Phn: (33) 1 42099595
Fax: (33) 1 42090145
Tlx: 211801

Sybex Uitgerverij B.V. (Netherlands)
Phn: (31) 2155 27625
Fax: (31) 2155 26556

Australia and New Zealand
The Law Book Company, North Ryde, NSW
Phn: (61) 2 8870177
Fax: (61) 2 8889706
Tlx: 27995

Canada
Firefly Books, Ontario
Phn: (416) 499-8412
Fax: (416) 499-8313

Caribbean Basin, Latin America
Computer & Tech Books, Miami, Florida
Phn: (305) 593-9199
Fax: (305) 593-1300

Greece
Klidarithmos, Athens
Phn: (30) 1 3632044
Fax: (30) 1 3617950

Hong Kong
Leed & Wood Co.
Phn: 852 602 1066
Fax: 852 602 4725

India, Pakistan, Bangladesh
BPB Publications, New Delhi
Phn: 3267741, 3272329
Fax: (91) 11 519825
Tlx: (31) 66971 - Gyan In

Israel
Bug Computers, Bnei Brak
Phn: (972) 3 5794711
Fax: (972) 3 5708174
Tlx: 361595/Danet Il Attn: Bug

Japan
Toppan Company, Tokyo
Phn: (81) 3 3 3295-3461
Fax: (81) 3 3293-5963

Middle East
Micro-tech Publications, Dubai
Phn: 532382
Fax: (971) 4 528549

Portugal and Spain
Lidel Edicoes Tecnicas, Lisbon
Phn: (351) 1 534437
Fax: (351) 1 577827
Tlx: 15432

Southeast Asia (except Taiwan, Korea)
Tech Publications, Singapore
Phn: (65) 2914595, 7449113
Fax: (65) 7449835
Tlx: 56791

United Kingdom
Pitman Publishing, London	Southport Book Distributors (Trade orders)
Phn: (44) 71 379 7383		Phn: (44) 704 26881/24331
Fax: (44) 71 240 5771		Fax: (44) 704 231970
Tlx: 261367 Pitman G		Tlx: 67457 Bxnter G

Venezuela
Tecni-ciencia Libros, Caracas
Phn: (58) 2 782 8697
Fax: (58) 2 782 3431

<ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET> (06/28/91)

In article <13664@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W.
Wine) says:
>It sounds like a great resource!  If you are able (and allowed) to provide
>complete information on the mysterious GAL chips, it would be a relief.  In-
>structions about the VME bus is needed and an indepth review of Atari Unix
>would be welcomed too.

Ha! Are you joking? Our book won't cover Atari's UNIX. Simple reasons:
(1) it's not finished
(2) this would need another ~1500 pages
(3) hopefully ANY good Sys VR4 book will do the job!

>[Title: Atari STe/TT systems book, author: Julian Reschke, ISBN: 388 745 8885]
>[release date: ?]

The title is 'Atari Profibuch ST/STE/TT', and will hopefully be published in
august (1991).

ftower@sage.cgd.ucar.edu (Francis Tower) (06/28/91)

> The title is 'Atari Profibuch ST/STE/TT', and will hopefully be published in
> august (1991).

Gibt es auf Deutsch oder Englisch geschrieben?

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) (06/30/91)

In article <91179.154342ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET> ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET writes:

>Ha! Are you joking? Our book won't cover Atari's UNIX. Simple reasons:
>(1) it's not finished
>(2) this would need another ~1500 pages
>(3) hopefully ANY good Sys VR4 book will do the job!

OK. The 1 Mbps(?) MICROWIRE bus should be documented though, since it
is able to supposedly address (and network?) multiple devices.  An
example of a device driver program would be nice too.  Schematics and
identification of the major chip pins and their timing would make your
book popular with the Atari Service Centers.

I read that Ira Velinsky was the principal architect of one of the machines
and it would be interesting to read an interview regarding him and the other
designers.  Their insights of the features, limitations, tradeoffs and the
general design philosophy of the STe/TT series might give hints about future
products.

Anyways, 1500 pages is pretty hefty and I was wondering if publishing two
volumes would be feasible.  German words appears to be about 20% longer
than English, so a translated version would undergo an automatic compression!

You should also consider emailing excerpts of your book to Znet and ST Report.

Jack