[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory Upgrades

njm@bentley.UUCP (N. J. Mowatt) (03/15/88)

I need to increase the amount of memory on my 520st (512k -> 1meg).

Does anybody have any reccommendations of packages they liked or
disliked?? How about horror stories or things to be carful of ??

Any response at all would be greatly appreciated.

			THNX		Naim Mowatt

yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) (06/30/91)

I'm planning on doing a memory upgrade on my ST.  I would like to go
to 4Meg.  It appears I have two options with my 1040STf:

1: buy one of the memory upgrade boards.
2: sell my STf and get and STe

In either case I would like to get SIMMs that would be compatible with
the RAM needed for IBMs, in the event of an IBM-compat. purchase in
the future.  I believe IBM-compats. require 9 bit vs. 8 bit of
Atari/Mac.

Questions:

Q: What is the best memory upgrade -- easiest to install, MOST
RELIABLE!, compatible, flexible, cheap and available?

Q: Is there a memory upgrade hack like there is for the 520? I do
not fear soldering guns...

Q: Anybody want to comment on just getting an STe?  How much would
this upgrade path cost?
	cost = (ste price) - (sale of stf) + (pain in neck factor)

Q: Did I get the 9-bit (IBM) vs. 8-bit (Atari/Mac) deal correct? And
can I use the 9-bit SIMMs in available memory upgrades or the STe?

...thanks ahead of time for any info.....

--
Christopher L. Russell (yonderboy)  Phone: (408)378-9078 Campbell,CA
yonder@netcom.COM or clr40@amail.amdahl.com or chrisr@leland.stanford.edu

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.222924.14936@netcom.COM> yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) writes:
> I'm planning on doing a memory upgrade on my ST.  I would like to go
> to 4Meg.  It appears I have two options with my 1040STf:
>
> 1: buy one of the memory upgrade boards.
> 2: sell my STf and get and STe
>
> In either case I would like to get SIMMs that would be compatible with
> the RAM needed for IBMs, in the event of an IBM-compat. purchase in
> the future.  I believe IBM-compats. require 9 bit vs. 8 bit of
> Atari/Mac.
> Questions:
> Q: What is the best memory upgrade -- easiest to install, MOST
> RELIABLE!, compatible, flexible, cheap and available?
> Q: Is there a memory upgrade hack like there is for the 520? I do
> not fear soldering guns...
> Q: Anybody want to comment on just getting an STe?  How much would
> this upgrade path cost?
> 	cost = (ste price) - (sale of stf) + (pain in neck factor)
> Q: Did I get the 9-bit (IBM) vs. 8-bit (Atari/Mac) deal correct? And
> can I use the 9-bit SIMMs in available memory upgrades or the STe?
>
> ....thanks ahead of time for any info.....

> yonder@netcom.COM or clr40@amail.amdahl.com or chrisr@leland.stanford.edu

Well go get the Doc file 2_5ram.zoo at atari.archive, also there is
one on Genie.
These will help you with a home brew upgrade.
with a home brew you can use sipp/simms and 9 bits will all upgrades,
Note: you must diable the parity bit, connect the inputs to VCC.
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***