[comp.sys.amiga] vt100 2.2 finally works for me

james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) (11/10/86)

In article <219@ci-dandelion.UUCP>, dgg@ci-dandelion.UUCP (Dave Grubbs) writes:
> I got Wecker's vt100 2.2 working.  But it doesn't work perfectly.
>
>    - It doesn't beep or flash.  I read of problems with Lattice, but
>      I used Manx.  I'd prefer a flash, since I use my Amiga at night.

I haven't tried getting it to flash because I want it to beep, but it doesn't
do that either.  Haven't yet tried to find out why.

>    - Kermit Get works fine, but what is "Kermit Receive" supposed to do?
>      I thought it would be something like 1) prompt for file (or wildcard)
>      2) send the string "kermit -s" (or "kermit -i -s" if Comm/Xfer/image
>      is set), then 3) go into response mode.  What is it for?  The only
>      use I can think of is as a "server", which is not what a terminal
>      emulator is for.
>    - (Warning: trivial semantic complaint ;-)) I believe the "get" and
>      "receive" labels are switched.  Receive is a "continuous" condition,
>      (send/receive) whereas "get" has the connotation of "go grab one".

GET is the command for sending a request to a remote server requesting
files.  If the remote server handles wildcards then you can get multiple
files with only one file specified.  VT100 allows you to specify multiple
files by separating them with commas.  When the remote host is in server mode,
it simply waits indefinitely for packets from the local host.

RECEIVE is used when communicating with a remote host which does not support
the server mode of operation.  To use it, first start the remote kermit
SENDing a file, then select File/Receive from the VT100 menu.  The remote
host will wait for a small amount of time after being told to SEND, then will
send an initial packet and wait for your local host, i.e. VT100, to respond.

>    - The "script" handler needs a "prompt" command to pick a string up from
>      the screen.  (I'll write one, if no one else is hacking this program
>      any more.)  It would be nice to have a library of scripts that could
>      prompt for variables.

Go for it!  I'd love to have variables in scripts.

james.
James M Synge, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
VOX: 1 206 543 0308 (Work)   1 206 455 2025 (Home)
UUCP: uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!james
ARPA: geops!uw-atm!james@beaver.cs.washington.edu