[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga track ball! A hardware hack.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/11/86)

Last week I successfully modified my Wico track ball (the one that
pretends that it is a joystick) into a mouse type track ball.

It works great with all mouse-driven software (gamesters: Marble Madness
is fun to play again!). As far as the Amiga is concerned, there is a
mouse connected, not anything unusual.

This is a straight-forward hardware hack with zero software
modifications needed. If there is enough interest in converting the Wico
track ball to a mouse type track ball, mail me and I'll try to write up
some coherent instructions to post to the net.

If you have hardware experience, this is almost too easy. The only
active component is an LM339 quad comparator. You also have to kludge in
a second button.

It's much to late at night for more detail, I hope this posting is semi-
understandable. If I get much response I will post a schematic. (usual
disclaimers about blowing up your Amiga.)

--

Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
{ihnp4, decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

beilke@puff.wisc.edu (Matt Beilke) (11/13/86)

In article <235@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> Last week I successfully modified my Wico track ball (the one that
> pretends that it is a joystick) into a mouse type track ball.
>
> It's much to late at night for more detail, I hope this posting is semi-
> understandable. If I get much response I will post a schematic. (usual
> disclaimers about blowing up your Amiga.)

  Please Post!!!!

  Thanks,

  -Matt Beilke

 UUCP  --> ...!{ihnp4,topaz,seismo,harvard}!uwvax!puff!beilke /kirk!diskman
     //       ARPA---> beilke@puff.wisc.edu           \uhura!scotty!diskman
    //        CSNET--> beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay      \checkov!diskman
\\ // AMIGA   UUCP---> ...!{ihnp4,topaz,seismo,harvard}!uwvax!puff!beilke
 \//  RULES!  USPS---> Matt Beilke, 451 Witte B, Madison, WI 53706, USA