[comp.sys.amiga] DBW VT100 version 2.2 and kermit

wilkes@beatnix..UUCP (John Wilkes) (11/10/86)

[lineeaterfodder]

Well, I finally downloaded DBW's VT100 version 2.2, compiled with Manx, and
tried it out.  I find that I am unable to transfer files via Kermit.  I get
an error claiming "too many retries" or some such.  I know the Kermit on my
remote system works, because I am using a commercially available terminal
emulation package that has kermit protocol, and I have downloaded several
MB over the past 5 or 6 months.

Must I use a particular word size - parity - stop bit setting?  I am dialing
in over Telenet, and the port on the remote system is configured 8-none-1.
When I use the aforementioned commercially available package, it is set
to 7-none-2 (on the Amiga side, still 8-none-1 on the host side), and I have
no problems.  In fact, that was the method used to download VT100 in the
first place.  I can reconfigure the remote port on the fly, so maybe I'll
just try all the possible combinations and see which (if any) work(s).

The commercially available terminal emulator package that I have been
using is SKEterm.  I've used it for many moons now, and I'd be happy to
review it for the net, if there's interest.  Capsule review: it's pretty
good, does vt100, kermit, xmodem, all of which work well.  My only complaints
have been in the ``user interface'' area: it uses old-fashioned text menus
requiring keyboard input, *never* uses the mouse.  Also, source code is
not available *:^{)# ...

-- John Wilkes --    UUCP: ihnp4!sun!elxsi!embos!wilkes
                     USPS: ELXSI, 2334 Lundy Pl., San Jose CA 95131
# My Employer appologizes for the fact that I have access to the network.
# Furthermore, my Employer disclaims any knowledge of the above ramblings,
# which are clearly the product of a deranged mind.

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (11/12/86)

In article <120@elxsi.UUCP> wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (John Wilkes) writes:
>[lineeaterfodder]
>
>Well, I finally downloaded DBW's VT100 version 2.2, compiled with Manx, and
>tried it out.  I find that I am unable to transfer files via Kermit.  I get

Well, I too have had troubles with Kermit.  I haven't complained
about it because I'm new to Kermit and I've hoped that I would
soon figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I am able to pull multiple files (the only reason I bother with
Kermit is that it will handle multiple files) from my UNIX system
down into my Amiga, but I haven't been able to send multiple
files from my Amiga to UNIX.

The trouble might be the kermit(s) I use in UNIX.  I have a huge
program (90K+ of stripped object code) called "wermit" which seems
very user friendly.  I also have a program called kermit, but it's usage
seems different from that which I've seen mentioned on the net.

Wermit seems the more powerful and flexible program.  If someone
has used this program to transfer multiple files in both directions,
could you please post instructions on how you did it?

Thanks ahead of time.

--
Marnix A.  van\ Ammers		Work: (415) 545-8334
Home: (707) 644-9781		CEO: MAVANAMMERS:UNIX

swalton@well.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (11/13/86)

In article <331@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:

>The trouble might be the kermit(s) I use in UNIX.  I have a huge
>program (90K+ of stripped object code) called "wermit" which seems
>very user friendly.  I also have a program called kermit, but it's usage
>seems different from that which I've seen mentioned on the net.

"wermit" is the name of the executable produced by "make kermit" using
the standard Columbia distribution of UNIX C Kermit.  The latest version
of Amiga Kermit is 4C(061), and that should be the version number you
see.  However, I don't believe any versions much earlier than 4C(057)
or so had any serious multiple-file transfer bugs.

>Wermit seems the more powerful and flexible program.  If someone
>has used this program to transfer multiple files in both directions,
>could you please post instructions on how you did it?

I've not done it with the VT100 V2.2 Kermit, but in general, you'd do
something like:

C-Kermit>send *.c
	[now select "Receive Kermit files" either as a command if you
	 have Amiga C Kermit or as the pull-down menu item from VT100.
	 Remember to ChangeDir to the directory you want the files to
	 go into first! There is a menu item for this in VT100 V2.2.]

That's it.  To go the other way, type the "receive" command to C Kermit,
and give VT100 a list of files to send.  I believe it understands
multiple file names separated by commas, but not wild cards, though I
could be wrong.  The sending Kermit sends a special packet at the end
of a file transfer of either one or several files so the receiver knows
when to stop listening.
     Hope this helps!
					Steve Walton
					AMETEK Computer Research Division
					ametek!walton@csvax.caltech.edu

phils@tekigm.UUCP (Phil Staub) (11/14/86)

In article <2034@well.UUCP> swalton@well.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) writes:

>"wermit" is the name of the executable produced by "make kermit" using
>the standard Columbia distribution of UNIX C Kermit.  The latest version
>of Amiga Kermit is 4C(061), and that should be the version number you
>see.  However, I don't believe any versions much earlier than 4C(057)
>or so had any serious multiple-file transfer bugs.
>
>>Wermit seems the more powerful and flexible program.  If someone
>>has used this program to transfer multiple files in both directions,
>>could you please post instructions on how you did it?
>>

>I've not done it with the VT100 V2.2 Kermit, but in general, you'd do
>something like:
>
>C-Kermit>send *.c
>	[now select "Receive Kermit files" either as a command if you
>	 have Amiga C Kermit or as the pull-down menu item from VT100.
>	 Remember to ChangeDir to the directory you want the files to
>	 go into first! There is a menu item for this in VT100 V2.2.]
>
>That's it.  To go the other way, type the "receive" command to C Kermit,
>and give VT100 a list of files to send.  I believe it understands
>multiple file names separated by commas, but not wild cards, though I
>could be wrong.  The sending Kermit sends a special packet at the end
>of a file transfer of either one or several files so the receiver knows
>when to stop listening.
>
>					Steve Walton

I do multiple file transfers (in both directions) between the Columbia kermit
and VT100 2.2 quite regularly. Wild cards *are* supported (in both
directions). The way I do this is:

	o on the Amiga, cd to the desired source/target directory (I do this,
	  even though VT100 does support "cd". I just feel better about doing it
	  this way.)

	o fire up VT100, and login to the remote system.

	o start up kermit (or "wermit" if you haven't re-named it)

	o type "server" to enter server mode on the remote kermit

Up to this point everything is the same for file transfers in either
direction. From here on there are two procedures: one for "get"ting files
from the remote machine, the other for "send"ing to the remote machine.

To "get":
	o use the "file" menu on VT100 and request "Kermit GET"

	o VT100 requests file name(s) to get from the remote host

To "send":
	o use the "file" menu on VT100 and request "Kermit SEND"

	o VT100 requests file name(s) to send to the remote host

Common stuff again:
	o type (for example) "*.c" to get all .c files, or a comma (*no spaces*)
	  separated list of files. (yes, you can mix wildcards with non-wild
	  card file names, such as "*.c,*.h,makefile,foo,bar,*.inc")

	o hit "RETURN". The two kermits will do their thing, with progress
	  shown for each file transfered. As each file transfer is complete, the
	  status changes from "GET" or "SEND" to "DONE", and the next file
	  starts up.

	o when all files have been transfered, both kermits will just sit there
	  for a while waiting for you to make the next move. After a while (if
	  you wait that long) the remote kermit will start sending inquiry
	  packets asking for something else to do, but otherwise, nothing
	  happens. At this point (or before the remote kermit starts the
	  inquiry) select "Kermit BYE" from the "file" VT100 menu item. This
	  terminates the "server" mode on the remote kermit.

If you ever want to abort the transfer of a file once it has started, press
"ESC". The current transfer will abort, and continue with the next file.

Also by way of explanation, I always transfer files in Image mode, and I
have a .kermrc file in my home directory containing the following:

	set file type binary
	set prompt TEKIGM-Kermit->

Also, I am using the 4C(060) release of kermit from Columbia.

Using this setup, I have had very good luck with file transfers, with only
very occasional strangenesses (my fault, I think). Hope it
will do the same for you. If you have any further problems, e-mail me, and
I'll send you my VT100.init file, in case something in there is causing
problems.

Phil Staub
Tektronix, Inc.
ISI Engineering
P.O. Box 3500
Vancouver, Washington 98668
C1-904, (206) 253-5634
..tektronix!tekigm!phils

phils@tekigm.UUCP (Phil Staub) (11/14/86)

-------------------

One more thing I was reminded about as I read a later article: While the
remote Kermit is in server mode (i.e., before you have selected "Kermit BYE"
from the "file" menu) you *can* alternately send and receive files without
exiting and re-entering server mode.

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/15/86)

> vanam@pttesac says:
> In article <120@elxsi.UUCP>  wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (John Wilkes) writes:
> > Well, I finally downloaded DBW's VT100 version 2.2, compiled with Manx, and
> > tried it out.  I find that I am unable to transfer files via Kermit.  I get
>
> I am able to pull multiple files (the only reason I bother with
> Kermit is that it will handle multiple files) from my UNIX system
> down into my Amiga, but I haven't been able to send multiple
> files from my Amiga to UNIX.
>
> The trouble might be the kermit(s) I use in UNIX.

    i've had the same problem sending multiple files with vt100.
my theory is that vt100 is just using a loop around the "send 1 file"
function; when it sends the "file complete" packet, the unix kermit
exits.  when the next file starts, vt100 is talking to the shell,
not kermit.  until someone puts real batch mode into vt100, i get
around it by running the unix kermit in "server mode".

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton