[comp.sys.amiga] Serial printers.

mende@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) (11/13/86)

   I have a problem with commecting an amiga to serial printers.  I
have no problem sending text to them via "type foo ser:" but no matter
what I do in preferences I can not get prt: to work with a serial
printer.
  Just so you know ... I am using 1.2gamma1 and trying to connect to
both an imagewriter and a diablo 630.  I have set baud and parity
correct in the serial section of preferences.  I still cant seem to
get prt: to work.  I know that the baud and parity works because I can
print via ser: .... does anyone know how to get this stuff to work....

		Thanks is advance...

				Bob Mende

      {Both Reality and this message are figments of my imagination}
| ARPA: mende@caip.rutgers.edu            Snail: RPO 4888          CN 5063  |
| UUCP: {anywhere}!rutgers!caip!mende            New Brunswick NJ  08903    |

rick@mips.UUCP (Rick Frazier) (11/15/86)

>    I have a problem with connecting an amiga to serial printers.  I
> have no problem sending text to them via "type foo ser:" but no matter
> what I do in preferences I can not get prt: to work with a serial
> printer.
>   Just so you know ... I am using 1.2gamma1 and trying to connect to
> both an imagewriter and a diablo 630.  I have set baud and parity

I have a Diablo 1640-ksr serial printer that I use "all of the time"
under 1.1 and 1.2 beta versions (I don't have Gamma yet).  Try one of
the earlier releases to se if it's a 1.2gamma1 problem.  I've set the
prefs to diable 630, serial, 1200baud, etc.  I have been printing things
via the notepad, and notice that NOTHING happens unless I print in
"draft" mode.  Possibly this is the problem for you as well.  Of course,
daisy wheel printers print at a "fixed" rate, so the difference between a
"draft" and a "finish" mode might not be meaningful (or coded in the drivers?).
I haven't tried to use prt: for so long I'm not sure if it worked from the
CLI with this printer, but it seemed to for my parallel daisy wheel printer.

Hope this helps.......

--
--Rick Frazier--  DISCLAIMER: The above is individual opinion (the result of my
imperfect recall of facts, real or imagined) in no way representing anyone else.

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (11/15/86)

In article <3888@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:

>   I have a problem with commecting an amiga to serial printers.  I
>have no problem sending text to them via "type foo ser:" but no matter
>what I do in preferences I can not get prt: to work with a serial
>printer.
>  Just so you know ... I am using 1.2gamma1 and trying to connect to
>both an imagewriter and a diablo 630.  I have set baud and parity
>correct in the serial section of preferences...

   This may be a dumb question but I ask because you don't mention it.

   On the Printer page of Preferences, did you
      1. Select the proper driver
      2. Select SERIAL (rather than the default PARALLEL)

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180