[comp.sys.amiga] Serial port CLI

giovanne@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Giovanne) (11/12/86)

 	In the december issue of AmigaWorld this undocumented cli function
was discussed:

	A cli process can be opened up to the serial port by typing:

			1>newcli ser:

	But the the buffer is too large, so you have to type a lot of
returns to get a response to a command. (anoying)

	Does anyone know what would be involved in hacking a bypass
from the serial buffer, when opening a cli to ser:?

Steve Giovannetti
giovanne@topaz.rutgers.edu

wen@husc4.harvard.edu (Alvin Wen) (11/12/86)

1.2 lets you set buffer size through Preferences....

wen@harvunxu.BITNET
wen@husc4.HARVARD.EDU

>Alvin Wen:
>
>1.2 lets you set buffer size through Preferences....

	This has nothing to do with the SER: device.  The SER: device
does its own crazy input buffering.

	Could somebody at C-A tell us why the SER: device was ever done
that way?  It seems so ... stupid.

					-Matt

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (11/15/86)

In article <6984@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> giovanne@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Giovanne) writes:

>	A cli process can be opened up to the serial port by typing:
>
>			1>newcli ser:
>
>	But the the buffer is too large, so you have to type a lot of
>returns to get a response to a command. (anoying)
>
>	Does anyone know what would be involved in hacking a bypass
>from the serial buffer, when opening a cli to ser:?

   You write your own handler for the serial.device and you Mount it.
I believe Phil Lindsay posted his skeleton handler a while back.

   Or you can buy the Metacomco Toolkit which contains an AUX: handler.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/15/86)

In article <8611130412.AA21767@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>>Alvin Wen:
>>
>>1.2 lets you set buffer size through Preferences....
>>

>	This has nothing to do with the SER: device.  The SER: device
>does its own crazy input buffering.
>
>	Could somebody at C-A tell us why the SER: device was ever done
>that way?  It seems so ... stupid.
>
>					-Matt

I suspect (personally) that this is a Tripos holdover...DOS likes
to work in 400 bytes at a time.  the SER: handler is written like
the other handlers, and shares the same design concept.

This is only my theory, however.

The good news is that a unbuffered SER: handler is possible
entirely in C, (call this hypothetical handler COM:) and may
be making an appearance in the future. (either on our
Software ToolKit disk, or here).  If you want one now, MetaCompCo
has their Software Toolkit available now (entirely different from
ours) which contains an AUX: device which does unbuffered serial.

			andy finkel
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.

phillip@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay) (11/17/86)

> >Alvin Wen:
> >
> >1.2 lets you set buffer size through Preferences....
> >

> 	This has nothing to do with the SER: device.  The SER: device
> does its own crazy input buffering.
>
> 	Could somebody at C-A tell us why the SER: device was ever done
> that way?  It seems so ... stupid.
>
> 					-Matt

SER: does basically "buffered" raw I/O to the serial.device...A AUX:
handler which allows a CLI to exist through a serial port does a bit more
work than RAW I/O. For one he as to handle requests in an async fashion
(always being able to handle input) ... The AUX: handler would also have
the responsability of setting the tasks signals when ctrl-c - ctrl-f are
pressed...not to mention the extra packets that are handled by a console
handler.

I have a aux/con-handler in the works, and if only I had more time...

  Phillip Lindsay - Commodore Business Machines - Amiga Technical Support
  UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip      - Phone: (215) 431-9180
  No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the form of suggestion or
  example. Any opinions found here are of my making. 	/* eof */