[comp.sys.amiga] Directory speed

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (11/19/86)

In article <8611172107.AA06615@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> >From: gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad)
> >  Yes, tradeoffs have been made trading off directory access times for file
> >access times,  but doing a directory on the Amiga is no slower than doing
> >a directory on an IBM PC's floppy disk.  It appears to be slower because the
> >entire directory is read in and SORTED before printing it.  If you want
> >immediate response (and an unsorted dir) use list.
> 	Sorry Gary, Directories on a PC are quite a bit faster than on the
> Amiga whether you sort them or not.  Let's at least get our facts staight
> when we argue.
> 					-Matt

  'Fraid not, Matt.  I just got a directory off of an IBM PC floppy of 20 files
in 6 seconds.  A LIST of a 20 file directory on the amiga took 6 1/2 seconds.
Hardly 'quite a bit' slower.
And, surprisingly enough, a DIR took only 4 1/2 seconds!  The reason people
seem to think that the IBM is faster than the Amiga is that no one uses an
IBM with floppies any more.

	Gary