[comp.sys.amiga] Initial Opinion of Amiga Now: ^C

jea@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Joanne Albano) (11/18/86)

In article <995@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie)
writes to Jon Forrest  ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest:
> I've never noticed this, but AmigaDOS does allow ^C trapping within I/O
> routines.  Actually, I believe that a ^C is noticed immediately by the
> I/O management Process, and during a program's I/O its occurance is polled.
> It depends alot on how the program is written; it can be dangerous to
> break out of a program at certain points, so its likely that the ^C checking
> is turned off in these cases.
> Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

I think some of us are looking for "^C","break" or a "kill"
to be used to interrupt any ongoing process.
Could you tell us where/how you noticed this? Is there any
documentation on this? I guess one wouldnt want to write just half
a file, but a break would want to have some kind of priority
associated with it and a cleanup routine (ie close up files etc.
free memory). I tired of rebooting every time one of my programs
goes zombie.

Joanne Albano {rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea}

eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (11/19/86)

Well, you can't have a kill in the Unix sense, since AmigaDOS processes
don't track resource allocation. Hence, if you tried to kill a process externally,
you couldn't free up the resources it had allocated (memory, devices etc.). An
AmigaDOS process must free up resources on it's own, therefore it must know how to
handle ^C or whatever interrupts. If your program is written to handle ^C or ^D,
^E or ^F, AmigaDOS provides the Break command which is like the Unix "signal". The
format is: Break <process number> <flags>, where flags is a C, D, E or F or any
of C,D,E,F seperated by spaces. This will send the particular signal to any process
(like a background process) and you can pray that the process in question was
written to handle the signal.

Hope that settles the issue,
Eric

--