[comp.sys.amiga] November 20th BADGE meeting notes.

kim@amdahl.UUCP (11/22/86)

[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]

Attached are a few notes from the November BADGE meeting.  I was
unable to attend, so these notes are from another of the Amiga
owners here at Amdahl, Steve Schottler.

There are a couple of items on the Genlock and Sidecar availability
that seem to conflict with other info that is being passed around
the net ... 'twill be nice when we get The Official Word from CBM.
Until then take it all with a grain of salt :-).

/kim

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv  from Steve  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

 Notes from last night's developers group meeting:

    Dale Luck was the main speaker, although there was a lot of
 participation from RJ Mical and other ex-amigans.

    Dale first showed videotapes that had been shown at the developers
 coference in Monterey.  The first film had parts stolen from the movie
 2001 and featured an Amiga 9000 accused of being non-IBM compatible.
 They proceeded to "remove" his brain and the Transformer screen came up.
 The second film had a series of commercials worked out between RJ and
 Dale in one afternoon.  A few were take-offs on the Bartles & James theme
 thanking all of us for our continued support.  One was in the Isuzu
 tradition (subtitle said "He's full of shit") telling us that they were
 rolling out a million Amigas per hour, etc.   I can't really describe
 the other ones...guess you just had to be there.

 We heard tidbits from the Developers conference in Monterey:
    Genlock has passed FCC.  Release probably in late December or January.
    Sidecar is available in W. Germany.
    A-Squared LIVE has also passed FCC. Delivery undetermined.
    The Commodore-Amiga Los Gatos office will be the developer support
      center for "the entire Amiga product family."

  1.2 is Finished!!! (in other words, any more bugs won't get fixed until
      at least 1.3)
  Copies of this have been sent to developers with updated documentation.
      although I haven't received mine yet.
  At your dealer soon should be 1.2 disks and documentation for Intuition
 and Rom Kernal and Dos updates -- all for $14-$15.
    The policy stated last night was that these disks and documentation
 are freely copiable.  Commodore is not trying to make a profit here and
 is only charging to cover expenses.  I don't know where else you can
 get disks plus documentation so inexpensively.
    This version, by the way, will be burned into ROM on the next
 batch of Amigas.

    Somebody demo'd a very impressive light pen that has lenses on the
 end so you can be yards away from the screen and make the pointer
 move around.  It even has two buttons, so you can select menus and
 gadgets.  It works with any program that doesn't disable Intuition,
 so most games are out, but Deluxe Paint and Aegis Draw are in.
 It's also great for "slide shows" with a projection TV.
    It was expected to sell for around $150 for the Amiga version
 (plus lenses) but about $250 for Macintosh and maybe $1000 for the
 IBM PC.  They've only developed it for the Amiga so far because it
 was the easiest to do.
    This device has great applications for the handicapped because
 the light pen can be attached to the head, so the poiner can be moved
 by head movements, and two buttons can be made for the hands or feet.
 Developers of this light pen urged programmers to make full use of menus
 in their software to make it available to the handicapped.

                                                 Steve

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

rossi@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) (11/25/86)

I would like to clarify some of Steve's notes from the BADGE
meeting.   NOTE: I was not at the BADGE meeting.

In article <4268@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]
>
>Attached are a few notes from the November BADGE meeting.  I was
>unable to attend, so these notes are from another of the Amiga
>owners here at Amdahl, Steve Schottler.
>
>There are a couple of items on the Genlock and Sidecar availability
>that seem to conflict with other info that is being passed around
>the net ... 'twill be nice when we get The Official Word from CBM.
>Until then take it all with a grain of salt :-).
>
>/kim
>

>vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv  from Steve  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>
> Notes from last night's developers group meeting:
>
> We heard tidbits from the Developers conference in Monterey:
>    Genlock has passed FCC.  Release probably in late December or January.
>    Sidecar is available in W. Germany.
and Canada.  Not every dealer was given the opportunity to sell it, so
you might have to do some searching.

>    A-Squared LIVE has also passed FCC. Delivery undetermined.
>    The Commodore-Amiga Los Gatos office will be the developer support
>      center for "the entire Amiga product family."

Commodore West Chester also has a developer support group which will continue
to support the amiga.

>  1.2 is Finished!!! (in other words, any more bugs won't get fixed until
>      at least 1.3)
>  Copies of this have been sent to developers with updated documentation.
>      although I haven't received mine yet.
V1.2 Enhancer (release) has been sent out to developers who have workbench
licenses.  It was also distrubuted to the developers at the Developers
Conference.  The remaining developers will soon be receiving a package in
the mail stating how they can get their V1.2 Enhancer.  The package will
include (YES AGAIN) another developer application.  Keep your eyes open
for it.

>  At your dealer soon should be 1.2 disks and documentation for Intuition
> and Rom Kernal and Dos updates -- all for $14-$15.
This (ENHANCER) has been shipped to dealers - should start seeing it soon.

>    The policy stated last night was that these disks and documentation
> are freely copiable.  Commodore is not trying to make a profit here and
> is only charging to cover expenses.  I don't know where else you can
> get disks plus documentation so inexpensively.
>    This version, by the way, will be burned into ROM on the next
> batch of Amigas.

????

		Lisa

>                                                 Steve
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>--
>UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
>DDD:   408-746-8462
>USPS:  Amdahl Corp.  M/S 249,  1250 E. Arques Av,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086
>CIS:   76535,25
>
>[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
>[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

Lisa Rossi-Siracusa		Commodore Business Machines
				uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!rossi
				arpa: cbmvax!rossi@seismo.css.GOV
				or    rossi@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}
				tel : (215) 431-9180
--  a mime is a terrible thing to waste --