[comp.sys.amiga] Disk Controllers

garyo@masscomp.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <2077@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:

>[Brand X is a DMA controller, Brand Y is a slower Serial/Parallel controller]:
>...the throughput through  the AmigaDOS file system is low enough
>that neither controller will  run  at full speed (ie brand X will never get
>to really take advantage of the 300KB/sec  since disk i/o time is dominated
>by seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeking).
>
>Those wanting to design THE  high performance disk controller for the amiga
>will have to look elsewhere for their performance boosts. We (ASDG) are.
>
>Perry

Most of this is true.  Normally, disk rate shouldn't be much improved
by using DMA, since most of the time is spent seeking.  However, with a
non-DMA controller the overhead during the actual transfer is MUCH higher,
since the device must do CPU interrupts per byte transferred.  Thus not
only is the transfer slowed by using the CPU, it's doubly slowed
because other computation cannot proceed while all these interrupts are
happening.

This will be much worse for image data, which presumably is stored semi-
contiguously on the disk.  In fact, for a non-dma SCSI controller reading
an optical disk, megabytes of image data could be read in without a single
disk seek.  In this case a DMA device would be a GREAT DEAL faster, for
the reasons mentioned above.

Give me a DMA SCSI controller any day.  It has all the advantages:
standard interface, fast, cheap, and flexible.  What more could one want?

				- Gary Oberbrunner

		Usenet: ...{harvard,allegra,ihnp4}!masscomp!garyo
		Snail:  Gary Oberbrunner
			MASSCOMP
			One Technology Park
			Westford, MA 01886   (617) 692-6200

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (11/24/86)

The referenced article (saying that non-dma  disk controllers will have
some detriments  over  dma  driven  cousins)  is absolutely correct. My
intent was to give credence to  Bob  Page's  claim that dma driven hard
disk controllers aren't the be-all-end-all we hoped they would be...yet.

Perry

In article <1242@masscomp.UUCP>, garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner) writes:
> Most of this is true.  Normally, disk rate shouldn't be much improved
> by using DMA, since most of the time is spent seeking.  However, with a
> non-DMA controller the overhead during the actual transfer is MUCH higher,
> since the device must do CPU interrupts per byte transferred.  Thus not
> only is the transfer slowed by using the CPU, it's doubly slowed
> because other computation cannot proceed while all these interrupts are
> happening.

But the transfers don't  HAVE  TO  NECESSITATE (sp?) interrupts. The processor
in a tight loop will run competitively to the overhead of handling interrupts.
If you were to do a non dma driven disk controller, that is.

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (11/26/86)

In article <2111@well.UUCP>, Perry S. Kivolowitz (perry@well.UUCP) writes:

> In article <1242@masscomp.UUCP>, garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner)
> writes:
>> Most of this is true.  Normally, disk rate shouldn't be much improved
>> by using DMA, since most of the time is spent seeking.  However, with a
>> non-DMA controller the overhead during the actual transfer is MUCH higher,
>> since the device must do CPU interrupts per byte transferred.  Thus not
>> only is the transfer slowed by using the CPU, it's doubly slowed
>> because other computation cannot proceed while all these interrupts are
>> happening.
>
> But the transfers don't  HAVE  TO  NECESSITATE (sp?) interrupts. The
> processor in a tight loop will run competitively to the overhead of
> handling interrupts.  If you were to do a non dma driven disk controller,
> that is.

The problem is, it eats the entire CPU!  The overwhelming advantage of DMA
is that it frees the processor to do other things.  In a multitasking
system (like the Amiga) the CPU can execute some other task while the
first one is blocked waiting for I/O.  Or you can run asynchronous I/O,
as Matt does in his asynclib.  Either way, the DMA buys a big gain in
throughput!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever