[comp.sys.amiga] Color Printer Question

Michael_Nowak@ulowell.UUCP (11/22/86)

This may be too non-technical for net distribution but...

I really would like to know what printer would be best for printing text
AND graphics.  I like the graphics of the Canon Ink-Jet but the text output
is rotten.  Other dot-matrix printers, like the Imagewriter II, have good text
but marginal color output.  Has anyone found a good combination?

           Michael Nowak
           University of Michigan

wagner@utcs.uucp (11/25/86)

Check out the OKIMATE 20.  It's not bad in colour and black+white graphics,
and the text is fairly decent.  It's cheap to own, but expensive to
run (supplies like special paper and ribbons cost a lot).  I only use
it for final output (I have an IBM PC Graphics printer for more mundane
stuff), but I'm reasonably happy with it.  I'm less happy with the
colour dithering algorithms in the printer.device, but that's common
to all the colour printers.  Anyone tried improving on them yet?

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (11/26/86)

In article <782@ulowell.UUCP>, Michael_Nowak@um.cc.umich.edu writes:
> I really would like to know what printer would be best for printing text
> AND graphics.

As you may have heard, "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".

For really superior color graphics, the Xerox 4020 can't be beat by
anything I'm aware of ... it goes for about $1200, I think (probably
less if you can find it mail-order).  Text is good, though not as good
as 24-wire dot-matrix printers, or daisy-wheel machines, of course.

Check it out!
/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]