[comp.sys.amiga] The latest word from Commodore

haddock@ti-csl.CSNET (Rusty Haddock) (11/16/86)

This past Saturday (Nov. 15th) the Dallas SCOPE (Society for Computer
Owners and PET Enthusiasts) featured Pete Baczor from Cmdr, West
Chester.   If you didn't know, Pete is one of (or the only) users
group liaisonss for Commodore.  Pete showed off a PC-10 which is
Commodore's entry into the IBM clone market which has been selling for
several years in Canada and Europe.   Pete also opened himself up to
questions and answers about Commodore computers in general.

It is possible that some of this information is "old hat" 'specially
if you attended the Developer's Convention or COMDEX.  I didn't go so
that's the name of that tune.

In essense this Amiga related information was disseminated:
[Comments in "[]" are mine and only mine]

	1) Commodore will not be introducing an Amiga with an '020 for
	   sometime.  There WILL BE a new machine announced possibly
	   as early as Summer '87 but it will have no '020. [I presume
	   an '010] Cost reduced as well as enhanced machines are
	   definitely in the works.

	2) MusicCraft has been passed onto AEGIS for completion after
	   going through its FOURTH developer.

	3) Last Wednesday(?) Commodore canned their MIDI interface for
	   the Amiga.  The feeling was there were sufficient third
	   party MIDI interfaces on the market for the Amiga.

	4) Sidecar is awaiting a "sticker" from the FCC.  The earliest
	   we could see them start delivery might be just before
	   Christmas.  Three slots with a single floppy and any harddisk
	   (even the hard-cards) will be partitionable in just about any
	   proportion.

	5) A-Squared, again, is still awaiting an FCC "sticker".
	   Expect to see it in January or February.  [I'll believe it
	   when I see it on my local store's shelves]

	6) TextCraft Plus.  Even though AmigaWorld had a review (or
	   was it PREview) of this product, Pete has not seen it in
	   West Chester.  He wondered where those writers got their
	   information.

	7) Some of Commodore's delay in getting out products can be
	   attributed to contractual problems with the third parties.

	8) Kickstart and Workbench 1.2 will be SOLD for US$14.95.  It
	   will be called the "Amiga Enhancer".  Delivery is to
	   commence this Monday, the 18th, I believe and include three
	   disks, Kick', Workb', and Extras.  [I confirmed this with
	   my local dealer.  As an aside, the letter that went to the
	   dealers about this stated that not all programmers/developers
	   would want this package.   I s'pose this is due to some software
	   not working with version 1.2.]

	9) To avoid possible "information leaks", Commodore has moved
	   some [maybe all] of their R&D overseas.

	10) Pete is s'pose to be putting together a parts list that
	    will contain various chips (ones that are socketed) and
	    various what not that will be available from Commodore at
	    retail prices from the general public.

DISCLAIMER(s):
	There were probably some more tidbits but I can't remember
	them right this moment.  If I've misquoted some of Pete's
	information or taken it out of context I apologize and would
	hope that we could get corrected only from C-A themselves.

	Texas Instruments, Incorporated, as my employer, is in no way
	responsible for this or any of my other postings to the net.

	Rusty Haddock +++ Texas Instruments, Inc. +++ Dallas, Texas
	Computer Science Center, CRD&E +++ CSNET: Haddock@TI-CSL
	USENET: {ut-sally!im4u,convex!smu,sun!texsun,rice}!ti-csl!haddock

haddock@ti-csl.CSNET (Rusty Haddock) (11/16/86)

I stated that the Sidecar was awaiting an FCC sticker when in fact it
has already received such acceptance.  My apologies.

				-Rusty-

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (11/17/86)

	In re: C-A moving R&D OVERSEAS!?!?!?!?!

	Say it ain't so!!

	Pleeez. . . say it ain't so!!

				-Mitsu

cc100jr@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Joel Rives) (11/18/86)

Can anyone tell me if the new AmigaDOS 'Enhancement' wil be available directly
from Commadore? The local Amiga dealer here is a real pain to do business
with and I'd rather not if possible.

					Joel Rives

--
              There is no place to seek the mind;
                 It is like the footprints of the birds in the sky.

															-zenrin

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (11/18/86)

hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) wrote in article <668@husc6.UUCP>:
>	In re: C-A moving R&D OVERSEAS!?!?!?!?!
>	Pleeez. . . say it ain't so!!

What I've heard (this is NOT stated to be fact):
 The sidecar was built in Germany.
 The 2500 (new amiga) was designed in Germany.
 There are two s/w people left at Amiga (three if you count Andy F on loan).
 The chip design group remains INTACT in Los Gatos.

I heard a while ago that CBM bought Amiga because they were looking for
a ``western R&D lab'' - the fact that Lorraine (now Zorro / Amiga A1000)
was there was nice too!  Maybe after CBM's financial situation made
them get rid of lots of people at Amiga, after more people left to do
other things, the people that were no longer there got a little too
loose-lipped for West Chester's taste.

Keep in mind that rumors of a dream machine right around the corner
(go ahead, add your own features) would KILL sales of the A1000.
Can you say Osborne?  Sure.  I have heard details of the new machine
from Completely Reliable sources, and it is not anything so great
that I will run out and get one.

CBM wants to put a lid on rumors, and I don't blame them.
I bet SOME r&d went to Germany, but not all of it.

Again, don't take any of this as Solid Fact.

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (11/18/86)

In article <668@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:

>	In re: C-A moving R&D OVERSEAS!?!?!?!?!
>
>	Say it ain't so!!
>
>	Pleeez. . . say it ain't so!!
>
>				-Mitsu
This is absolutely untrue.  We have actually bought up all the available
seats on the next 4 shuttles, to move r&d to a space station. We've found
that zero gravity helps the blood flow to the head and makes our programmers
more productive, as well as our chip foundaries can make some really
super fast IC's with new techniques we've been developing, we're talking
multilayer blitter's here.  As I said before on BIX, when someone accidently
tripped across a prerelease of the ellipse software for Mars (Mars ellipses
are based on a different geometry) this will make it easier for us to
establish our distribution to the outer areas of the solar system.
Dale Luck
give me a break, duck.

In article <668@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:

>	In re: C-A moving R&D OVERSEAS!?!?!?!?!
>	Say it ain't so!!
>	Pleeez. . . say it ain't so!!

It ain't so...  It ain't so...  It ain't so...  It ain't so...

THe original article didn't include the context of Pete's replys, but this
one sounded somewhat tongue-in-cheeck.  It is true however, that both
Commodore in Germany and West Chester are taking a more active and visible
role in Amiga R&D than in earlier days.

mikeb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Mike Brenner SW) (11/19/86)

In article <668@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:

>	In re: C-A moving R&D OVERSEAS!?!?!?!?!
>
>	Say it ain't so!!
>
>	Pleeez. . . say it ain't so!!
>
>				-Mitsu

This DEFINITELY is NOT SO. There are engineering facilities in both
Europe and the Far East who are being asked to contribute more to North
American product development. This includes PC compatible products which
have been supported in Europe for the last two years.

The primary R&D for Commodore still resides in West Chester, Pa and
Los Gatos, Ca. There are no plans to change this arrangement. Instead,
Commodore is making better use of its total worldwide engineering talent
creating an international development team capable of delivering state-of-
the-art, competative product, on a timely basis, to a worldwide market.

Michael C. Brenner
Vice President, Software
Commodore Business Machines

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (11/19/86)

In article <772@ulowell.UUCP>, page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
> What I've heard (this is NOT stated to be fact):
>  The 2500 (new amiga) was designed in Germany.

I may as well add a little fuel to the fires ...

A friend of mine called up CBM Parts Dept. the other day looking for
the price/availability of the floppy controller board.  He was asked,
"Is that for the A1000 or the A1010"?
                              ^^^^^

So, what's an A1010?  An A1000 with ROM'ed Kickstart?  With a 68010?
A new floppy drive?  A slip of the tongue?

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

In article <4205@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <772@ulowell.UUCP>, page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>
>A friend of mine called up CBM Parts Dept. the other day looking for
>the price/availability of the floppy controller board.  He was asked,
>"Is that for the A1000 or the A1010"?
>So, what's an A1010?  An A1000 with ROM'ed Kickstart?  With a 68010?
>A new floppy drive?  A slip of the tongue?
>/kim

The A1010 is the standard Amiga 3.5" expansion drive.  It seems that there was
some failure in communications, and the person in the parts department probably
though your freind was after a replacement drive, rather than the little bitty
interface board.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/25/86)

> I may as well add a little fuel to the fires ...
> [...]
> So, what's an A1010?  An A1000 with ROM'ed Kickstart?  With a 68010?
> A new floppy drive?  A slip of the tongue?

Let me add some halon to your fire:

The A1010 is the little drive that you plug into the back of your A1000.
Most people call it df1:

> /kim
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"Laws to supress tend to strengthen what they would prohibit.
	 This is the fine point on which all the legal professions of
	 history have based their job security."
						-Bene Gesserit Coda

These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they may be yours too.

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (11/26/86)

In article <1030@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> > So, what's an A1010?
> The A1010 is the little drive that you plug into the back of your A1000.
> Most people call it df1:

So *that's* why things don't work so well for me ... I've been
using "B:" all this time :-)!

Happy Turkey Day to everyone on the net, and especially to all the
AmigaFolk at West Chester and Los Gatos!

/kim