[comp.sys.amiga] Cron

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) (11/24/86)

In article <780@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer wrote:
>>List of things to do. [...] Since all the resulting code is/will
>>be publicly available, if you're interested in doing any of these
>>things, let me know!
>>[..]
>>*) Port cron to AmigaDOS.
>
>Yow!  If you have a PD cron, send it and I'll make it work.
>Then again, cron from scratch shouldn't be so hard...
>
>..Bob
>--
>Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

[Cough, cough.]

Yes, I have a PD cron. It was written for the GNU project, but I'm
giving it away for the asking. And yes, it's not hard to do a cron
from scratch - the hard part was dragging myself away from the Amiga
long enough to finish it (except for the as-yet-to-be-finished
documentation).

Got lotsa nifty features, too - per-user cron files (ala sysV) (just
what the Amiga needed :-); at built in (no need for atrun), but you'll
have to rewrite the at shell script; file names with nice, human
readable names; plus my nifty linked-list and doped string libraries.

The shar file is in the mail. Just wanted to let everyone know that
you can send mail to Bob asking where it is, instead of me :-).

	<mike

page@ulowell.UUCP (11/27/86)

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) wrote:
>The shar file is in the mail. Just wanted to let everyone know that
>you can send mail to Bob asking where it is, instead of me :-).

Ok, ok, don't flood my mailbox already.  I got it.  It's got lotsa
UNIX hooks that the Amiga doesn't need (like usernames, etc) that
I'll just #ifdef out - and I need to hook in Amiga process spawning
and clock reading.

Anyway, I have a question for the net: how do you think I should set
the wakeup timer?  I'm currently working on a project that sits on
the VBLANK server chain and reads the mouse port, but I don't want
to do that for amiga cron -- seems like overkill.  Does timer.device
support SIGALARM (or whatever) [ don't have my RKM's handy at the
moment] - any examples of timer.device usage around?

Another question: should I provice non-compiler-specific support
for process handling?  Both Lattice and Manx have exec functions now
(Well, Lattice will in their next release) although they are not
compatible, and we all know the problems with Execute and CreateProc!
I guess I'll just program for both compilers (ouch - Lattice exec
doesn't know about BCPL program arg passing) with an #ifdef, again.

Lastly, I'm not going to get a chance to even LOOK at the code
until I get further along on two other projects that I'm working on
(alas, these are commercial ventures) - let's say a few weeks,
at the least.  I'll post a message when I get something up.

Amigas for the masses!
..Bob

--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET