[comp.sys.amiga] Chessmaster 2000 bugs

wagner@utcs.UUCP (11/29/86)

Is anyone playing with Chessmaster 2000?  I'm having some problems from
time to time, and I wonder what it is that's getting me.

Every once in a while, Chessmaster will crash the amiga.  This seems to
happen both on 1.1 and a 1.2 Beta release.  Usually, it just locks up the
mouse.  Often, it happens in conjunction with the right (menu) mouse button.

Other times, it takes a long time over a relatively simple position.
At that point, if you look at the frame 'show chessmaster thinking',
you notice that he's stopped thinking(!).  Since it's always his move,
you can wait a while.

Today, I got a guru (first time that's happened).  I was closing a window.
Relatively harmless thing to do, I thought.

The only thing 'odd' about my machine is the fact that I have a 2Meg
expansion board on it (from Comspec).

Has anyone else experienced these problems?  They are relatively infrequent,
but very irritating when they occur.  Is 'Software Country' on the net?

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

john13@garfield.UUCP (12/01/86)

In article <1986Nov29.130417.15540@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.uucp writes:
>Is anyone playing with Chessmaster 2000?

Yes! :-)

>Every once in a while, Chessmaster will crash the amiga.  This seems to
>happen both on 1.1 and a 1.2 Beta release.  Usually, it just locks up the
>mouse.  Often, it happens in conjunction with the right (menu) mouse button.

It hasn't happened to me under 1.2 gamma 1, but it did happen under 1.1 three
times day it first arrived. All involved clicking one or both buttons
several times in rapid succession, often leading to messages like "it's not
your move" while it was in the process of moving around windows.

As I say, 1.2 has been unbreakable, the only hitch being that the opening
screen (with the wagon) looks as if it gained a bit plane somewhere - sort
of like HAM pictures saved with SaveILBM loaded into ShowILBM. The second
graphics screen and the chess screen are fine though.

Chances are it will never happen (at least under a late 1.2) as long as you
don't get overactive with the mouse buttons; chess is, after all, a sedate
game :-) .

John