[comp.sys.amiga] consumer fever

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (11/26/86)

First, if this topic is too trivial for comp.sys.amiga, feel free
to singe me and I'll stop.

I really am gonna buy an Amiga.  My local dealer offers Amiga, 1080 Monitor,
512K, and 2 disks for $1499+6% sales tax.  This seems like a pretty good
price to me--anyone know where I can substantially beat it?

Should I get one disk and and more memory to start out?  (I know, I didn't tell
you what I'm gonna do with it.  To start with, simple word processing and
a lot of fooling around.)  I assume that the Alegra 512 upgrade is still
highly regarded, right?

What's Fred Fish's current address?  I need a good editor and vt100 emulation
to start out with.  Which disks are the latest goodies on?
Could someone send me the "catalog" of the disks so I can pick out
the neato demos that try to convince my friends that the Amiga is
an amazing machine?

I need a Prowriter driver.  I assume that I can at least crank out plain text
til I get this, right?

And, in case you missed it before--wanna sell me yours?

Lee Sailer
814-725-8045

lachac@topaz.UUCP (11/28/86)

In article <8747UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>I really am gonna buy an Amiga.  My local dealer offers Amiga, 1080 Monitor,
>512K, and 2 disks for $1499+6% sales tax.  This seems like a pretty good
>price to me--anyone know where I can substantially beat it?

Check out the latest issue of Amiga World, call Computer Mail Order, Go Amigo,
or one of those other mail order spots.  I am almost positive you can save
another $100 - $200 on that price.  And if so, you can buy yourself a good
word processor.  One that catches my eye is ProWriter which isn't out.

Has anyone heard *anything* about this.  It's supposed to support graphics,
colored text & fonts....

				lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/29/86)

In article <8747UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>What's Fred Fish's current address?  I need a good editor and vt100 emulation
>to start out with.  Which disks are the latest goodies on?
>Could someone send me the "catalog" of the disks so I can pick out
>the neato demos that try to convince my friends that the Amiga is
>an amazing machine?

Anyone can get a catalog of the current disks by sending a pre-addressed
mailing label and 4 loose first class stamps to:

	Fred Fish
	1346 W. 10th Place
	Tempe, Arizona  85281

There are currently 40 disks released.  I am working on 5-6 more that
will probably be released in the next week, including MicroGNUemacs
(a GNU emacs subset based on microemacs), Egad (a gadget editor),
and lots of other goodies...

-Fred

Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (12/02/86)

In article <8747UH2@PSUVM>, UH2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

> . . .

> Should I get one disk and and more memory to start out?  (I know, I didn't
> tell you what I'm gonna do with it.  To start with, simple word processing
> and a lot of fooling around.)  . . .

I am just a user of the Amiga (Monopoly and other games for my older kids,
a simple spelling program, SpeechToy to amuse my 3-year-old, and some use
as a terminal talking to the VAX at work).  In other words, I am not making
heavy use of the program development tools (though I do use the compiler on
occasion).  Even with my limited experience with the Amiga, it has become
quite obvious that 512K memory and two disk drives are essential for any
reasonable use!

> . . .

> And, in case you missed it before--wanna sell me yours?

Fat chance!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever